Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

scroll askew

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by kurt muroki, Feb 14, 2006.

1. hi, question... if i look up towards my scroll from the bridge, I see that the scroll is askew, rotated towards the g-str. the neck is not twisted, but i feel as though the curve of the fingerboard is geared toward the g as well. should i leave it alone or have it straightened?

kurt

2. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Hi Kurt! It's rare to find a scroll dead-on and I think the board favoring is probably coincidental. One can't just "straighten" a scroll though. You could do a graft, but more than likely it's just the portion above the box that is twisted. A graft wouldn't cure that. Of course the board could be replaned but for what reason?

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Kurt, if this is the Bajoni then it most likely has a Grafted neck. It is very possible that the Scroll was not grafted 100% straight to the new neck. I have seen this on many Basses. Today, many luthiers use a Lazer to assure as perfect alignment as possible. My Prescott is currently getting a Graft and will be aligned by Lazer. My Mystery Bass will also get a Graft by Paul but he doesn't use such modern things. It will be interesting to compare old and new schools of tools after both Jobs are done.

For now, just play your Bass as-is unless it has a problem. Then, go back and Audition somewhere. I wanna hear that you won the Job somewhere. You are too great a player to just hang around the city, do some subs and dwell on the Met experience. I wish I could play half as good as you. I also wish I had your Bass... lol

4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Ken Smith wishing he had someone else's bass...now there's a switch!

5. Not wishing to be smartar.. (it gets me in trouble) but it's laser BTW. It's an acronym for light amplification (by the) stimulated emission (of) radiation. This knowledge of course brings nothing to the thread :-( . I second all of Ken's last para!

6. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Ok Yoda, fixed it...

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Arnold, have you seen Kurt's Bajoni? I tried it out before he bought it. What a sound it has. Sweet, mellow, powerful and Italian. I also played 2 Guads that day as well as several others. I think Kurt was in negoations already when I tried it out the second time so it was too late to make an offer. I had already bought the Martini by then anyway so I was waiting for it to arrive from Italy. Kurt? Wanna trade? My Scroll is straight and has a C-Ext... Yes?

8. Ah, but it does though. Anything that brings knowledge to the masses is worthwhile.
    Spelling correction is a Good Thing too.

9. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Didn't someone produce a car called the Lazer?

10. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
    lol yep, Google says it's plymouth.

Chad

11. Heifetzbass

Heifetzbass Commercial User

Feb 6, 2004
    Upstate, SC
    Owner, Gencarelli Bass Works and Fine String Instruments, LLC.
    Hey-

I know it's off topic... but half this thread is already.

I had a Plymoth Lazer RS Turbo. The engines were manufactured by Mitsubishi. Man, would that thing fly.

PS- A bass stool and luggage fit in the hatchback quite nicely.

BG

12. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Off topic you say?.. Man, that's 'Far East'!!*

*Hip Jazz cats used to say that insted of 'far out' in the late 60s and 70s.. If anyone here can remember that. What good is a joke when one has to explain the punch line?