Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gut_Implosion, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Is any TBer here a scuba diver? I'm certified, but I'm having trouble finding a dive partner to go diving with. Scuba diving owns :D

Anyways, if anyone here dives and lives in california and would be interested in going diving sometime with a fellow bassist, let me know.
  2. Well if you ever come to Florida, I'm there dude!!!!

Been diving for 15 years and it stinks not having a good buddy right now. I hate going on a boat full of students in current and wind up with a 10 min. dive because there out of air from breathing so hard swiming as fast as they can and scaring all the fish!!!!! Ahhhh ok I'm frustrated I'll stop.

If only I could get a waterproff bass to play on a saftey stop, That would be cool!!! Might atrack whales ;)
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I am. Unfrotunately school keeps me from going anywhere. I do take a yearly dive trip though that is alway fun. Just be glad you live near water. I have plenty of buddies and no where to go.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I am. I actually got certified right near you. It's the Dive Center next to REI just off of 101. Redwood City I think.

Unfortunately, I'm on the east coast now and diving here sucks. I miss Monterey Bay and Hawaii.
  5. Ineresting post. I am actually going to get my license next weekend (23rd adn 24th), if all goes well. Unfortunately I live in Toronto, but I am getting my license in Ft Lauderdale!
    FenderBender, if I get my license.... oh wait, I will probably be a beginner sucking back all my air in 10 minutes.... :D
    I love snorkelling off the beach. Florida is amazing!!
  6. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    how do you scuba dive in milpitas... :D

My plan was to go to Australia and learn/do it from/with my friend there :D
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Not a certified one, nor do I live there, but diving owns :D

As PE I have taken up swimming - but usually do freedive instead :D
    The others got used to me swimming around (and under :p )... with fins and masks... Its :cool: I can dive around the entire winter
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    ehh, i dive but it's mostly for work, be it with the navy or for the police...i've always been a salvage diver for the submarines i've been attached to and i'm also a volunteer fireman, so if the police need a blackwater diver or whatever, i usually get a call...never had a chance to stop and look at the fishies...sounds fun
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've seen Jaws too many times to ever go scuba diving.
  10. Its not the beginners that I ever had a problem with. Every new diver that I ever went with was really cool!!! Its the advanced students who are going for thier dive masters etc. that ussually are so MACHO gung ho, and thats who are on the boats down here. I should have said so in my first post :cool:

Be more than glad to dive with a beginner. My freind used to own a shop in South Beach And I'd go out with them all the time , but he sold it :( . I'm up in Toronto at least 3 times a year but don't think I'm interested in lake Ontario.

Good luck on your dives here, If You are doing a wreck and there's current, don't let it bug you. My advice is set up on the back of the boat and be the first group in the water (If your instuctor allows). Pull like hell up to the bow along the tag line up to the ball off at the anchor line. start to clear at the surface while your making your way up. Dump the air in your B C and grab the anchor line and swim/pull your self down the line constantly clearing your ears. The current should let up by 50 feet. If theres still current get to the Lee of the wreck.

Again the best way to enjoy your dive is to get to the anchor line as fast as possible and get down . You dont want to be #24 in line in the water bobbing up and down, hanging on for dear life ,waiting for some guy whoses flipping out and nobody can get by him. :D
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Done a bit of scuba myself, mostly free diving as a youngster though.

Should take it up methinks, I've been eyeing those proper CMAS courses which are something like few hundred bucks around here including half a dozen open water dives..

One popular thing in the North is going under-ice diving during the winter. They just cut a hole in the ice, zip up drysuits and underneath you go! There are some heavy safety measures though, newbies not allowed :ninja:
  12. That always sounded cool to me! I've done alot of cold water diving, Burrrrrrr, and some penetration wreck dives and Caving. Not really my thing, way to much that, can kill you, and kinda takes the fun out of it. The whole draging 3 tanks thing is exausting, for a 20 min dive. Ice diving sounds fun !!!

But give me the tropics, nothing but my speedo (yuch what a sight) and my stealth BC and an aluminum 80, ahhh 90 minuets of warm bliss :D
  13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Now that's the cool part in it, diving with diverse marine life and in temperatures closer to body temperature than that ice diving, where you're happy if your @$$ doesn't freeze in! :)