1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sealed dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom dicus, Dec 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    Is there a problem with having 2 Fender BXR410's?
    They'r sealed cabinets and I get the impression that the sealed units are not as good as vented.
    I have both an SVT7PRO and a Peavey VB2 amp.
    Thanks
    Merry Christmas

2. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    There's nothing wrong with sealed bass cabinets. Why do you think something is "wrong" with the sealed cabinet design?

2saddleslab likes this.
  3. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    I guess I misspoke.
    I don't believe anything is wrong with sealed cabs, I'm getting the impression they are not nearly as good as vented, at least from the little amount I read on them.
    I'm sure I'm wrong as usual.
    I want to get another 410 but I would like it to match my Fender 410's I have now.
    They're sealed but sound fine.
    I'm guessing I'm good with the sealed 8ohm cabinets?
    Thanks

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    If you like the tone of one cab, an identical cab is the way to go. Just different designs and sounds. Nothing is sub-par here.

deathness likes this.
  5. The problem with any standard 410 is its dispersion. It plays great to the back of your knees. Stacking them only gains you better monitoring in a loud band.

If you are playing to the room the stack is overkill as it's louder than the drums, and probably the vocals are drowned out by the volume war. If you actually are all keeping under the vocals, still your tone gets lasered to the centre and off axis sounds like a half dozen moving blankets got thrown over your cab.

If you are playing with PA support indoors a 810 stack is total overkill making it very likely you won't be in the front mix. Yeah it's possible to turn down like JimmyM and run it at a fraction of capability. But I venture you're only asking because you can't hear yourself in a rowdy band.

So the solution is get a 210 vertical stack. Don't stand right in front of it.

I am a 210 vertical stack believer!!

FTMFW.

6. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I like both sealed and ported cabs... I have a few Mesa ported cabs, but also own a pair of Acoustic B410 cabs - and like them, too... IMO, the pair of them stacked match up very well with the venerable Ampeg SVT810e - which has graced many a pro stage over the years... FWIW, I've owned at least 3 Ampeg SVT810e cabs over the years, and gigged thru a ton of them on provided backlines - so I'm quite familiar with them...

One advantage sealed cabs have over ported is that they tend to be more "punchy", but roll off a little low end - which can make it easier to hear yourself on stage, and less likely to cause issues with the PA regarding low end - IMO/IME, that is...

If you like your sealed Fender 410 cab, adding another is only going to make things better - and give you somewhat of a modular 810 setup - not a bad thing, IMO/IME...

JimmyM likes this.
  7. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    There's no right or wrong with sealed vs ported cabs. What's important is what sounds best with your current setup.

JimmyM likes this.
  8. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    There are great and not so great sealed cabs and great and not so great vented cabs. Can’t take a sample of one here and come to any meaningful conclusion. Try a bunch of different things, pick the one you like best and have a ball!

MR PC, ljazz, mesaplayer83 and 2 others like this.