1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Searching for a bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skisagooner, May 8, 2010.

1. I'm a drummer looking to pick up the bass guitar, and after reading about its parts on this website, I decided I'd be looking for a bass that fits these criteria:

4 string
    24 frets
    P-J pickups
    34" scale length

Most of the bass with P-J pickups don't have 24 frets, and those with 24 frets mostly have humbuckers.

So if you guys know of any model that you can suggest to me that'd be great. My budget is for entry level/beginners basses, since it'll only be my first bass.

EDIT:

1) ESP LTD B-50 Electric Bass
    [​IMG]

2) Yamaha RBX170 Electric Bass
    V3_EN_RBX170_BLACK.

2. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    There are lots of 90's and early 2000's basses that fit that criteria. Check eBay, but the rule of thumb is don't buy it till you try it. Hit your local music shop for some feel first. Then you'll know what kind of wood you want, what size neck, what shape, passive or active electronics, what weight body, etc.

3. Thanks for the tip, really. But are you trying to say basses like that are rare these days?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Too bad about the budget. Click on the pic.

[​IMG]

5. No reason for 24 frets... Get a Yamaha BB414 and be happy.

6. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    You see that up there^^^ there's a modern example. Now that you've seen a modern one, go look at the modern price. Entry level basses just don't exist for what you want. It's better to buy an intermediate bass used

7. Plus active basses suck. :bag:

8. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    You're going to need more than a brick wall to hide behind...

but you're right, some do. However, Ibanez BTB are notorius for their amazing sounding preamps. Soundgears... not so much. Fender basses with preamps tend to suck, but their passive ones are stunning. It all depends on the build and woods involved

9. The number of frets isn't a status symbol or deal-breaker.
    I can't remember the last time a bassist at one of my shows went much higher than the 12th successfully.

10. coffin blurt

coffin blurt

Feb 6, 2010
  11. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    I suggest you check out your local music stores and try some different basses. When you find some you like, go home do some research on it to see if if they have good reviews and are a good deal. Fender P and J basses have different width nuts. Try them each to see which one you favor. Remember that, just because you're trying at a shop doesn't necessarily mean it's set up well. Ask questions, and if you meet someone with experience, ask them questions too.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Right. I own two of those Sadowskys, and I'll bet I can make them sound pleasing to your ear, even without switching to passive mode, which is always an option.

13. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  14. I picked up a Tune Bass TBJ42 Bass Maniac on the bay cheap, ash body, three piece maple neck, rosewood board, PJ pickups and 25 frets. I think that I read on a thread here that there is a someone in California who imports them.

15. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    get a Rockbass Fortress ....... P/J pickups, budget wise and 24 Fret

16. [​IMG]

I like this, I really do. What do the rest of you guys think?

Also I'd prefer it if the body, neck shape and fret be similar to the Jazz bass. This one seems to fit!

17. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    I played this one today, and I reallly liked it. The place I was at even had it as the same price with MF.

Wondering what I can sell to get that ;)

18. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I'm also a drummer that started on bass a few months ago. I can't think of any reason a beginner would need to worry about getting 24 frets. On the other hand, I did decide that, based on everything I read here and observing all the bass players that I know, it would be better for me to start out on a 5-string, instead of learning on 4 and then trying to pick up a 5 later. There's nothing you can do on a 4 that you can't do on a 5, but the converse is not true.

If you really want a P-J 4, then:

Fender Aerodyne's commonly go for around $400 used.
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Aerodyne-4String-Jazz-Bass?sku=511988

If you want 24 frets, but aren't tied to P-J, then Schecter Stiletto Elite's are good, and cheap, used. Both 4 and 5 strings. My very first bass I bought was an Elite 4 and it is very nice, even when comparing it to my MIA Peavey Cirrus 5 or my MIA G&L L-2500.

And the Schecter Diamond-P is a P-H (only 21 frets) that several folks on here seem to think is pretty nice. $499 new.
    http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...amondP-Custom-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=584544