1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seattle DB Happy Hour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by TroyK, Apr 6, 2006.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    How 'bout it? It's come up before under other threads. Who's in?

2. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Sounds like fun to me.

3. That'd be cool, but I'm underage. Anyone up for darts?

4. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    We've got a ****load of coffee houses up here. Happy to meet at one of them.

5. jlilley

jlilley

Aug 28, 2005
    Mill Creek, WA
    Sounds good to me. By the way Troy...you have an amazing knack for organization and community building! Keep up the good work.
    John

6. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks John. We need to get Hiro out for this. Why isn't he a TB member?

7. D McCartney

D McCartney crosswind downwind bass

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    :cool: :cool: two cool

8. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, Troy and all,

I guess I never thought to visit the miscellaneous forum before! I'm in ... in fact I started a thread in the amps forum abou a playing get-together like the one they recently did in Ohio: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248371

But I'd also just be up for a happy hour get-together if people didn't want to organize some place to play.

Cheers,
    Liam

9. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    So let's do it, then! I can open up my house, but we should take a head count because I have a very small house.

I know a whole ****-pot of Seattle horn players, we could put a session together with 20 bassists, each with their own amp/pre-amp/pick up....

10. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    This still in the works? Any idea of when it might happen?

I have the following gear available to bring:
    My axe w/Full Circle
    Clarus head
    D-Tar Solstice
    Wizzy cab
    Ampeg PB110H cab
    AKG C411 contact mic

11. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'm all for it! I don't have space at my house to host this, does someone else?

If not, we could find a room at a community center somewhere and invite some other players, so not only could we hang and check out each other's gear, but we coud have a jam session. It would be a trip to outnumber the freakin' tenor sax players for once!

I am happy to host beer on the deck though, alternatively (sodas for the minors, of course)

-tk

12. D McCartney

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    Other possibilities are a grange, church, fairgrounds or masonic hall. Those usually charge for rental of the space, but if everyone pitched in...?
    My house is small, not room for everyone and gear.:crying:
    Would you get someone to bring a ........drum kit?:bag:

13. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    A tiny drumkit? I know someone who was running a monthly jam session at the Ballard Community Center. They had a huge room, I'll inquire as to whether that is still going on and if they would like a whole mess of bassists to share that seat one night. How about that?

Troy

14. D McCartney

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    View attachment 34923 tiny mean quiet

Sounds like a hoot.

15. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I'm not as interested in a jam session as in a bass get-together to just try a ton of different gear. I can't imagine that the jam session guys would be interested in sitting around while we set up a ton of different amps in between each tune, trade basses back and forth, etc.

But ... that's just me. If the jam session ends up being okay for everyone else, and if that's all we can put together, then I'm cool with it ...

Cheers,
    Liam

16. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think it would be just after all the time we've wasted listening to them bitch about their reeds and mouthpieces. Usually it's 2 bassists and 30 tenor sax players. I think it would be fun to out number them for once. Better yet, they should have to stand there and wait it out while all of us line up to take our 8 chorus solos over All the Things You Are for the 1,000th time. =^)

But, I'd rather sit around and shoot the bull with you guys too. It's just a matter of finding someplace that can accomodate us and our basses and amps.

How many of us are there, anyway?

Troy

17. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, if we outnumber them, do we get to call tunes, too? :bassist:

I'm more of a bluegrass, rock and country guy, so maybe I can make'em play some Hank Williams tunes? HAH!!!

Actually, I hate saxophones, so I'd hate to disgrace Hank's memory by allowing them to play his stuff ... ;)

Cheers,
    Liam

18. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    We'll figure something out. Jazz is probably not a good idea for this, since as you pointed out, not everyone plays jazz. I was just thinking..."who do I know with a big room we could crash?..."

19. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I'm going to post to our bulletin board at work, asking if anyone knows of a place we could do this for cheap. I'll ask my buds at Bass Northwest too ...

Cheers,
    Liam

20. D McCartney

Aug 1, 2005
    Tacoma WA
    College is out for the summer, maybe a school would have a room. Any teachers here?

Or back to the original idea, a coffee house someplace and leave the gear for another time?

I'd go with whatever.