1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Secret Preamp / Always On kinda pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Heroinsheep, May 22, 2020.

1. Heroinsheep

Heroinsheep

Oct 23, 2017
    OK so there's an actual pedal called Secret Preamp.
    By Chase Tone. Anybody have any experience with this pedal for bass?
    It seems pretty cool for guitar and I dig the preamp taken from Echoplex thing...

I recently removed the SansAmp from my live setup and I'm looking for some nice pre-amp / always on kinda pedal...

Would happily hear any advice on similar things... looking at the Linden EQ and Boss CE-2... I know those are all completely different pedals but when it comes to these always on things I feel it's all different ways of looking at the same thing to some extent... I want something nice that just sounds really good and has very few options... I got more than enough EQ on amps...

P.S... By always I don't actually mean ***always in every situation for ever and ever***, but: for live, when you need that slight amount of grit/articulation/emphasis/magic spice or something without being all overdrivey.

Thanks

2. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I have one. It is an ep style booster. I wouldn't say it adds grit but it does add that magic sparkle that you immediately miss as soon as you turn it off

I think they are on sale at the moment too. Buy direct. They get it to you quickly and you dont get gouged by the sellers on reverb.

If you don't like it, it won't take long to sell.

Heroinsheep likes this.
  3. Heroinsheep

Heroinsheep

Oct 23, 2017
    Nice!
    I actually didn't know this EP booster existed... Is the Chase one better or the pretty much the same as the Xotic one?

4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I would get the Chase Bliss one. The EP Booster is Echoplex based but rather dark and veiled on bass.

Heroinsheep likes this.
  5. Heroinsheep

Heroinsheep

Oct 23, 2017
    Which pedal do you mean exactly?

6. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    the Xotic EP-Booster is better on guitar. I tried to make mine work on bass for a long time and just couldn’t get past the extra hair and diminished highs it contained.

I’ve actually never heard the Chase Tone (sorry that i said Chase Bliss above) Secret Preamp one but I’ve come close to getting a few times and I would trust Duke’s opinion like gold.

I’ve played through an actual Echoplex and it is a killer preamp (although I would wager it’s more of a tone of a forgotten time and there are better things out there now for always on tone boosting preamps for bass especially)

Ryno1330 likes this.
  7. Mine is the Pigtronix Fat drive. I set with with the gain @ 9 o clock. My Ampeg Scrambler and Fuzzistor push it to OD and Fuzz. By itself it sound like a tube amp set clean with a little dirt when i dig harder. Sound great straight to FOH @ church.

8. Heroinsheep

Heroinsheep

Oct 23, 2017
    Nice. Care to share any examples of such?

9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    there’s lots of magic tone boxes out there.

a few that come to mind (some harder to get than others): Spaceman Atlas Boost, Broughton Solarian, Spaceman Saturn, Bugcaster/Valvecaster/Bug Drive, Broughton Archetype Boost, the Diamond BCP comp, Fairfield Barbershop on super low gain, etc etc

gh0st42 likes this.
  10. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Get the chase tone secret preamp

Heroinsheep likes this.
  11. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Don’t know about that particular pedal, but I’m still running a Tech21 VT Bass as my preamp of choice. Adds some great balls, punch, and high end sparkle to my tone. I even run a second one as an overdrive.

DoctorZee, dax21 and Heroinsheep like this.
  12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    as far as Echoplex preamps go, i don't find the xotic ep-pre to be dark or veiled at all. i also have a ClinchFX one that sounds really good.

packhowitzer and Dee-man like this.
  13. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Henretta Engineering's Emerald Prince = exactly what you're describing. Kevin modeled his design from the preamp in the Echoplex... and yeah, it's really cool. It's one of those "leave it on all the time" pedals... sounds fantastic.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  14. rohi

rohi Lead Lined

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Some of the higher voltage (>9v) compressors double as preamps-- my whirlwind OC bass is one, it's my always-on-compressor so it came to mind.

15. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    Moog 101 on bypass mode is my secret source. I use my Hudson Broadcast as a slight dirty boost to push it to the next level when needed.

Heroinsheep and knumbskull like this.
  16. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Le Bass is mine. But to be fair, I have a Source Audio Programable EQ (v1) in the loop and Midi’d to it, so technically 2 always on’s. But I can go from clean, to dirt, to blended with a click of a switch. All 3 very usable tones!

17. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Wow that's tiny! Does it thrive on 18v like the Xotic?

18. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Don't know for sure offhand... but I don't think so.

My Emerald Prince is in a Henretta Six Speed unit.

19. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    My always on signal chain leader is a Fairfield Accountant comp. I've also tried the Durham Sex Drive in the same role and will give it a good reference.

20. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Fuzzrocious BDPG for me.

bassbrad likes this.