Seeking Guidance

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by frobie, Feb 3, 2005.

1. frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    hi, im relatively new on these boards, but I wanted to make a thread and ask this question. I looked around and could not figure out where this question should go, so i thought this would be a good start.

Here's the deal, I am 21 years old, I've been taking bass seriously for about 10 months or so. I've been playing much longer, sort of an ex guitar player, and Im graduating from college this May. I will have a degree in philosophy and religion. I am very interested in pursuing electric bass studies much further, but I do not know where to turn for this. Could anyone give me some direction as to where to look, or degrees or certificates. Iknow since my undergraduate is not music it limits me further study. any help at all would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU :)
  2. frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    At the moment I am 15 minutes outside of Harrisburg Pennsylvania. I am trying to take lessons from my college, but the bass teacher is actually a guitar player, and would like to see me with a bass player. But that is something I've been trying to pursue.
  3. groove100

Jan 22, 2005
    i would say community college is the best in that situation... find a good one near you
  4. frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    do a music degree at a community college?
  5. frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    were you suggesting a performance degree at a community college?
  6. Only if it is that you want I mean you don't have to do a degree to become good but however you would have alot've good quality teaching and if you study hard you get alot've good contacts I for one learn't on the road by gigging although I had a private teacher ( sax player ) that taught me all about music ( eartraining,theory,scales chords etc..)
    I basically worked by butt off both in learning what my teacher gave me ( as well as learning the techniques by watching others as well as reading books/video's ) as well as gigging and I became good without college
    However I'm gonna do a degree ( Jazz ) in about 2 weeks time
    bottom line is if you want to go to college then go but you can become just as good of a player if you got a good teacher and be willing to put in the time
  7. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    If you do a member search you can see if any TB members are listed as teachers. I did a search about a month or so ago and came up with 6 members from PA listed as teachers. I don't know if any are in your area, but do a search and check it out!

Click 'Members List', then Members Search, then click the Advanced Search link, then on the following page choose Pennsylvania from the 'Available for Instruction:" dropdown. There are actually more than 6 people listed for PA now.

Good luck!
  8. Lock yourself in a basement and practice all day like Jaco did. :)

Besides finding a private instructor, get a bunch of CDs featuring good bassists (Jaco, Victor, etc.) and imitate the bass playing. Also, try to go to as many live concerts featuring good bassists as possible.