1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seen the Metallica movie ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by pnut166, Sep 28, 2013.

1. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Just got back from seeing it. I don`t go to movies much, and haven`t seen anything in Imax since I was a teen - and that was just educational films. So I might be a little naive to the whole 3D movie movement lol. But WOW ! The theater had a slammin` sound system, and that was pretty freaking cool ! As most of you know, it`s really two movies - the concert + a post-apocalyptic-type thriller. As for the latter, it was well-produced and looked great, but a meandering plot that had no bearing on the music. In fact, it took away from the concert footage by cutting away every few minutes. I would`ve much preferred just a straight-up concert film (I`m sure the DVD will have that option). As for the show(s) itself, well-polished, well shot. The mix / sound is spot-on, and Trujillo is actually audible and well-defined on most songs. The drumming was questionable and erratic, and the vocals were obviously polished up but still lacking in a couple of spots. But they`re in their fifties now, and considering that, they are still rockin` strong, and the best live sound I`ve heard from them in ages ! The stage show was over the top mind-blowing. They hit all eras of their career, and at 90 minutes, it was really too short. But overall, I gotta give big props - this project was a big undertaking and risk (I read that they financed it out-of-pocket, to the tune of $30+ mill). And they pull it off. If you like concert films, go see it. It`s unlike anything I`ve seen; they make seamless, non-gimmicky use of the 3D, and avoid some of the cliched concert-movie shots and angles - it`s almost completely up-close & personal, giving a sense of almost standing on the edge of the stage. I`m not sure how impressive it will be at home or a regular theater, so catch it in Imax - it`s quite a ride :) Let`s hear some other opinions - thumbs up or down ?

2. RSmith

RSmith Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Springfield, Missouri
    I just saw it and thought it was excellent. Next order of business is for Metallica to write some new music that is as compelling as the material they played in the move!!
    Nice job and good metal fix.

3. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sep 29, 2012
    Thanks for the recommend guys , think I may head out to see that one tonight with my son

4. pnut166

pnut166

Jun 5, 2008
    alabama
    Even if you`re not a big Metallica fan, how often do we get to experience live music like this ? The format & quality would`ve been impressive with just about any tolerably enjoyable band :)