1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Selecting an acoustic????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dice0o0Dice, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Dice0o0Dice

Dice0o0Dice

Apr 18, 2009
    Hey!
    I've been playing bass for altogether, on and off about 5 years now, I own a Fender squire and a B.C. rich warlock bass. I'm now considering the purchase of an acoustic bass to be able to jam without hauling my amp around. My budget is 1000$ and im looking for something that will sound good pretty much everywhere, rather it be in recording, gigs, plugged or unplugged. Anyone got a suggestion for me???

2. Doublefunk

Doublefunk

Sep 11, 2008
    Virginia
    I dont necessarily think that the best solution would be an acoustic bass, It depends on what setting you would want to use it in but i can tell you from experience that you would be somewhat hard pressed to compete with a guitarist using an amp or a drummer. I have a Takamine EG512 and it sounds great in an acoustic setting and has a distinctive tone compared to my electric bass, if thats what your looking for.

I think a better solution might be to invest in a good portable amp that would be easy to lug around.

If you are set on an acoustic though I can tell you from limited experience that I love the powerful sound from my takamine, but for a $1000 budget you might be able to get something nicer, not that i have any recommendations for that.

3. Dice0o0Dice

Dice0o0Dice

Apr 18, 2009
    thanks for the very first reply :D
    I understand what you mean by getting a more portable amp and it may be a solution to my problem! however, being a total noob in acoustic setup (because I dont even know what that means, I need to get updated!), I'm looking for something I can use to play along with my buddy guitar player dude when we're camping or even bosking for that matter (normally I use a coco bongo but god I wish I could get a bass to play with him!). I dont even know if such a thing is possible but anywhom, thanks for the advise and I will look up the takamine!
    THANKS AGAIN

4. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    The unfortunate part, is no matter what you have to spend on a bass, if you just use it unplugged, you'll barely be able to compete with just an acoustic guitar, and if you add drums........fuggidaboudit.
    Just not a very loud instrument.....
    :meh:

5. Dice0o0Dice

Dice0o0Dice

Apr 18, 2009
    Good news is where this future acoustic friend of mine is going, no drums can get :D only acoustic guitar can make it there!!!Its all I need to be able to do, keep up with an acoustic guitar unpluged! Obviously, I want something that will last for a very long time if maintained properly. Also, any one have any tips on what kind of strings I should throw on there?

6. Dice0o0Dice

Dice0o0Dice

Apr 18, 2009
    i'm all for the love of taking my music where ever I go, over the mountains and...well not under the seas but anyways, you get the picture :D sadly they dont have electricity plugs over mountains.

7. Dice0o0Dice

Dice0o0Dice

Apr 18, 2009
    Someone mentionned washburn to me, anyone know anything about them? because right now, according to reviews I kind of have my mind set on the takamine EG512

8. caillean

caillean

Mar 2, 2008
    east anglia
    Takamine - or Cort if you want to buy something cheaper and invest in a portable amp for when you're not up a mountain!

Seriously though, even up a mountain with just an accoustic guitar you're going to have to go some to be heard (more so if there's a gust of wind .........) Obviously, I suppose this would also rule out a double bass - which at least has enough body to get some sound out - although, you can at least get cases with wheels on if you really want to go up a hill.

9. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I find that the acoustic bass just by itself is loud enough for only practice, maybe with one guitar but you might have to play hard. I have an Epiphone el capitan and looking at the trying the Roland Micro Cube amp which is battery powered.

10. Dice0o0Dice

Dice0o0Dice

Apr 18, 2009
    I was serious by ''up mountains'', lol, I'm an outdoors person! But hey, if everyone tells me takamine is sturdy and quality i think thats what i'll run for! Anyone know how they sound when they are plugged for a gig or recording?

11. On playing an ABG w/any other instrument(s)nearby, I'm not going to tell you it can't be done- but I would suggest reading up on some old threads on this subject(it's been done to a near-death/comatose state :D).
    I've had a couple & played a borrowed Thundercheif, w/little success. IME, they're great for in-home quiet practice & noodling but not much more.

12. thehamsterman

thehamsterman

Dec 26, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    +1 on the EG512. I've got one and it sounds pretty good, plus the build quality is superb. I don't have any plugged in sound clips, but what i've found is that it is pretty bright, especially with the bronze strings.

not sure how it would compare against an acoustic on its own, you might have to look in to a battery powered amp or something

13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

IME unless the guitarist is unusually quiet you won't be well-heard even sans drums. Get an ABG for the tone if you like, but understand you'll still need a small amp.

14. Dice0o0Dice

Dice0o0Dice

Apr 18, 2009
    All right, ill read up the old threads! The battery powere amp would also be an alternative! Since ive honestly never touched an amp under 800 watts (Serious mistake on my side when buying my first amp), I dont know much about what im looking for...Any tips?

15. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My backup ABG is a Fender BG-41. Its a "mini" jumbo body.
    Its one of the louder ABG's I've played. Very nice neck. It has
    a 34in neck. They aren't cheap, but you can find them used.

16. DamienLangkamer

DamienLangkamer

Apr 18, 2009
    London UK
    I have a Fender Victor Bailey acoustic bass.. it looks and feels amazing and is usually just the right volume next to an acoustic guitar. its a nice small body but i've found it pretty loud next to the other acoustics i've played. Plus it sound pretty good plugged in too.