Self Defense

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

A close friend dated the victim.

All I have to say is this: If I stepped into the path of a moving vehicle, I'd fear for my safety too. I'm just not sure what good firing into the cabin would do to help the situation.

I've met the kid before, and we got along well. Nothing but good things to say.
  2. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You got to be kidding me? For some crazy reason i dont feel sorry for the kid or his friends... I do feel bad for the cop as he did the right thing and now he is going to go through hell for it.\

Plus the kid was drunk, who knows how many lives he saved by not letting this idiot drive.

If someone got in the way of my car i would try to stop... not try to run him over.
  3. If I was in the cops position, I might have done the same thing. The kids were wrong in what they did, but that doesn't justify killing them. This is gonna be a controversial thread, I can feel it. It's just one of those things that can be taken so many different way and WILL spawn endless arguments.
    Nevertheless, it sucks and I'm sorry to hear it happened.
    BTW--The article doesn't say WHY they were trying to run down the cop. It says he was off-duty, and I would assume that means he's out of uniform, so why the hell would they try to run him over?
  4. They didn't try to run him over, he tried to stop them by stepping in front of the vehicle, and they didn't stop in time. The driver was not charged with attempted murder or anything similar, which would have happened if they were trying to hit him.
  5. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

It says he was a security guard at the place... many police officers due to lack of money work 2 jobs, one being a police officer other being on the side security guards. He was most likely in security uniform.

Are you sure... the feeling i got from the article was that he stepped infront of a moving car and they just refused to break thinking he will get out the way... Reason being it takes some time to pull out a gun and aim, if a cop had time to do that they sure as hell had time to stop... Where they going 50mph on a parking lot?
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I think if the cop had no way to get to safety he did the right thing.

If he could have, was it worth killing somebody over a resaraunt tab?

I wasn't there so I guess I can't really say.

But my condolences to the kids family.

7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    We had something like this a year or two ago that went the other way.

A few people tried to skip on their tab from a Bennigans. he waitress ran out into the parking lot to write down their license plate they ran over her and killed her.
  8. This is a direct quote from the article that you posted, copy and pasted:
    "An 18-year-old was killed by police early yesterday after he and a group of friends left an Alexandria restaurant without paying, got into an SUV and then tried to hit an off-duty police officer, who fired at the vehicle, striking a passenger, police said".
  9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I used to live 1.5 miles from that IHOP. I've eaten there several times. It's a pretty small parking lot... would be difficult to build up much speed without being REALLY reckless.

That said, I don't feel the least bit sorry for any of these kids. When you break the law, you're inviting all sorts of bad things upon yourself. Obviously skipping out on a restaurant bill doesn't warrant being killed, but sometimes a smaller infraction unintentionally brings on bigger consequences.
  10. If he had time to pull out the sidearm and aim, then he probably also had time to get out of the way. Opening fire wouldn't have helped secure his safety. He didn't even hit the driver.
  11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Very true but Drunk wreckless driving is another story IMO

Well yeah... we dont have enough info on what happened... but article did say "then tried to hit an off-duty police officer".

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    From the description in the article,if it would have happened in Illinois the driver would be charged with murder or involuntary manslaughter(depends on what the results of a full investigation rest upon)for causing the death of the passenger during what the article described as an attempt at bodily harm upon a police officer during the commission of a crime.
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    All I'm going to say on this is, just because only minor charges have been filed on the driver so far, it doesn't mean more charges WON'T be filed. As far as the rest, I'm going to stay out of it.
  14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    None of this is the officer's fault. The events were set in motion by the irresponsible actions of the driver.
  15. Also I would like to point out this quote from the article.

"the officer, who was in uniform, was told by a restaurant employee that the teenagers had walked out on their bill."

It's an unfortunate thing to have happened, it could have been prevented, but we hire and train police to make those judgement calls, we can't make them ourselves.

Kids will be stupid, most people on this site have "dined and dashed" at one point in their life, and/or got drunk or high. When those kids didn't accept the fact that they were caught, and kept driving, the stakes went a lot higher then hi-jinx. If they had have stopped and said sorry and paid, left a nice tip, I bet they would have gotten away a few dollars less, but one friend richer than they did.

Also, if you owned this restaurant and kids skipped out on the bill, and a cop sitting there in uniform said "sorry I'm off duty" and stuffed his face instead of trying to help, you would have been sour at him. He went out of his way.
  16. What a horrible situation. I have my opinions on what is wrong and right, but I'll keep them to myself - I feel sorry for everyone who was involved.
  17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    WOW! I'm not really sure what to think right now. A lot of emotions are going through my head. To avoid embarassing myself, or saying something rude, I'll have to wait until I think this out before I throw out my opinion.

18. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Hint, hint, everybody else...

Anyway, David, you're a poly-sci guy, right? Shouldn't you know that modern day newspaper articles are basically just cleverly disguised opinion pieces?

I wouldn't make any judgements on newspaper 'articles' and wait til the affidavits are released.
  19. Nope. I'm a science and technology guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.