Seller beware

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rolling Thunder, Sep 22, 2022.

1. 20220922_121022.jpg I'm going to attempt to make this not sound ranty but as more of a cautionary tale.

I recently sold a speaker cab in a box that measured 26x26x26" and weighed 50 pounds (I rounded up from 49.8).

I get a message today from Reverb (remember not to shoot the messenger) that UPS is charging me additional money for "dimensional weight".

I gave them quantifiable units of measure (inches & pounds). They have something else.

Okeedokie....

2. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    Orwellian...... wow.

Low Down Brown likes this.
  3. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

They are implying the box was larger than 26x26x26.

Minimalist likes this.
  4. To me it sounds like a "because we can" fee. Funny that Reverb is the one telling me this and not UPS.

5. Ok. It has the dimensions printed on the side. I'm looking at the circled example of how 10 pounds is actually 30 pounds due to the space it takes on a truck or plane.

6. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Dimensional weight has been a real thing forever. If you ship a 3’ x 3’ x 3’ box of feathers that weighs 10 lbs you’re going to be charged dimensional weight.

I’ve run into this many times myself. :-/

Dimensional Weight: UPS - Reunion

sotua, Dominic D, eriky4003 and 19 others like this.
  7. Funny I was jokingly thinking how "Big Feather" or "Big Pillow" must be getting fleeced.

Full disclosure: the additional fee is $91.08. So not exactly small peanuts.

8. klejst

klejst Guest

Oct 5, 2010
    Anything to make an extra buck...

9. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    Just asking, who wanted 10lbs of feathers? LOL!!!

10. Topkat13

Topkat13 Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Life at point blank range. I would get an attorney.

11. db59

db59 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2015
    Geesh... I'll need to go on a diet now.... instantly gained weight depending if I'm standing or in fetal position.

12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    It seems reasonable for them to charge dimensional weight.

It does not seem reasonable for them to adjust the charge after the fact if you provided accurate information to begin with.

Probably not much you can do about it though.

13. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    Saul Goodman might be a good candidate. Lol.

I don’t see how the shipper could have a case unless the dimensional weight issue isn’t clearly disclosed. It might be unknown to the majority of “infrequent shippers”, but I bet it’s somewhere in the fine print you signed off on.

“I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am”. :meh:

Jim Nazium, Eli_Kyiv and Spidey2112 like this.
  14. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    Bad wording on their part.

Planes care about weight, not just spatial volume.

1960jbass likes this.
  15. I've heard of this in the UK, the term being 'volumetric weight'. It seems silly but isn't really, there's a basic cost of fuelling and running any kind of vehicle, so the haulier has to consider the loss of income from the likely density in normal conditions, vs the lower density of a large parcel.

Even so, a contract is a contract, no matter how basic and implied it is, so bait-and-switch is bad. Firms like ParcelForce get a bad rep (but not as bad as the infamous 'OOPS') for various problems, but they do declare up front in terms and conditions. They just expect accuracy in measurement.

If what they end up charging doesn't match terms and conditions, OR the correct vitalstatistix of the package, then here we have the Small Claims Court... Just mentioning it is often enough to prompt a reassessment of charges, if the client has the right facts.

Bassinthemudd, viribus and Wasnex like this.
  16. I suspect that's how they'd charge for it if you wanted to lie across three seats of an aircraft. :) Mind you it's not your weight that bothers them, it's the other paying passengers who aren't sitting in the two extra seats..

c5hokie, mikewalker, 2112 and 2 others like this.
  17. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    This is 100% correct. The issue is that a large box means more smaller boxes cannot fit on the truck or in the shipping container causing the shipper (it isn't just UPS that does this) to use another vehicle or container, causing them more operating costs. It can actually cost more for the company to ship a larger box that is light than a smaller box that is heavy. Weird, but true.

18. To do what? There's nothing to litigate. Dimensional weight charges aren't anything new and like any business they'll charge what the market will bear, enough at least to stay in the black operating expenses wise plus some profit. Business 101.

I've operated a sideline business since 1989 (just recently retired from) shipping over length packages all over the planet. Same issue, too large (or long in my case) packages if it's over something like 42" or 48" (I forget) they hit you for 70 lbs regardless of weight. You pay it or you find another lower cost method to shipping (best of luck on that, I've looked extensively) or you deliver personally...

You can always dispute a charge, there's a method to start the process on their website. Yeah they don't make it particularly easy but if you have facts that support your claim IMO they've always been pretty fair. I've been through it several times, it's doable. PITA but doable.

19. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

Weight becomes irrelevant. You're paying for the overall size of the box, this isn't a new thing. It weighs less than they expected for the overall dimensions, and the dimensional weight is X. Its just a formula.

BBQisgood likes this.
  20. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    It costs a fully fuelled truck / aeroplane / ship, X-amount to complete a delivery route.

Filling up most of the cargo compartment with a giant box, containing a single peacock feather, is like hiring an entire venue for a private function, and only inviting a couple of friends, instead of filling the venue to capacity with paying ticket holders.

But yeah, sorry you got walloped by an unexpected penalty / upcharge, and a pretty big one too.