Selling on Reverb without getting ripped off?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by g-dude, May 22, 2022.

1. So I’m looking at selling something on Reverb, specifically a discontinued reissue of a synthesizer that seems to go for anywhere from $5500 to $9000.

Originally, I contemplated just taking the hit and doing a local trade in, but when the quotes I’m getting are less than what it cost new, that’s simply too much money left on the table.

At the same time, I’m worried about getting ripped off, robbed, etc.

We’re not talking about something light weight, so shipping it is going to be a hassle. I also don’t want to be stuck with a fake cashier’s check, get a transaction reversed via electronic means, or be given enough cash to be made a victim.

Is it even possible to get this thing sold in a manner that doesn’t make me regret selling it or ending up the victim of a crime?

Peter Torning likes this.
  2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Maybe try a local sale first? Cash only.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Where are you seeing the synth going for $5500-9000 and are they selling? It's a re-issue and now discontinued?

Riis

Peter Torning likes this.
  4. Ironically, Reverb.

Wouldn’t even contemplate EBay.

Think of the most commonly heard analog monosynth that featured on albums that went platinum.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  5. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Follow their rules (Reverb) to a "T" and you should be okay.

Riis

CJL, db59, The_Meatwagon and 3 others like this.
  6. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    You must have one of these. [redacted]

7. Close!

I have the reissue they did, which keeps the same audio signal path, but adds MIDI and an additional LFO on the keyboard. Haven’t really made use of it because once I found myself in a position to potentially use it, they had already discontinued it and I didn’t want to risk anything happening to it. If I need analog goodness, I have a Synthesizers.com portable and a big box of patch cables.

Tried to dance around what it was because I’m not trying to sell it through here, but should have realized that someone would want to solve the mystery!

LBS-bass likes this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'd list it at a rock-bottom price, "local sale & pick-up". Strike up a dialogue with any interested party(ies)...you'll be able to sort the live ones from the riff-raff. Sorry...for 5k you'll have to allow for some sort of demo...you're not gonna pass it off in a WalMart parking lot. No reason the buyer can't do a PayPal purchase transaction via his smart device on the spot.

Riis

Sushi Box FX and g-dude like this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Sorry! I can redact :)

10. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    First, the highest price ever on the trend is probably not what you’re going to get but you can list it and adjust as needed.

Next, don’t be surprised. I sell used pedals on the Verb for more than new price all the time because Reverb buyers have shown their willingness to pay more than list for commonly available pedals. I don’t know why. Below is an example, the lowest cost is new from the maker including free shipping. But the used with $30 shipping also sell. Why not try?
    upload_2022-5-22_14-25-54.jpeg

Dynacord, fhm555 and g-dude like this.
  11. ellipsis

ellipsis Supporting Member

I’ve sold 18 items on Reverb and the one time there was a problem (damage during shipping) I was made whole because I spent the couple of extra bucks for the buyer protection coverage that they offer.

My experience is that Reverb is no more problematical than any other sales venue and offers some real advantages (visibility and the aforementioned buyer protection coverage).

People tend to share their experiences on forums like this one only when they have a problem. I think that negativity bias can skew our perception.

12. use the Reverb PAY function and you are good to go , Ya they charge but you dont get burned so ???

g-dude likes this.
  13. When you sell on Reverb, take lots of photos of the item you are selling and give a thorough description. When you sell, take step by step photos of the item before it is packed, during packing and the final package. You will need these if there is a problem and you will be able to show Reverb that you sold the item exactly as advertised and that you properly packed it for shipping. Payment is through Reverb and you should use the Reverb shipping label as you will be able to insure it and ship it for less than if you used your own label. Payment will be made by Reverb directly into your bank account when the item is delivered. Good luck. :thumbsup:

14. If I had to sell an orginal Minimoog Model D, I'd first list it on Gearspace but that's just me. All the connoisseurs/studio owners/analog synth freaks/potential buyers hang out on Gearspace (used to be Gearslutz) the same way most of the bass gear freaks hang out on TB

15. No worries! :D

16. moon-bass

moon-bass They call me El Jefe Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    All this is good advice. I done hundreds of deals on Reverb, I've yet to have a problem that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction.

bignc and g-dude like this.
  17. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    The old version of Reverb was a nice community where I had a lot of luck as both a buyer and seller..

The new version sucks. The ONLY thing they care about is taking your $$$$ to pay off the $180 million debt that the new owners paid so they can then sell it to someone else for more $$$$. I've never been hosed by an individual there, but as soon as the new owners took over, they refused to pay me for my 1964 P bass sale and it took two months of hassles before I was banned, all because I followed the rules and simply wanted to be paid.

Avoid Reverb at all costs, they are predatory and don't give a $#!t about you!

18. ghunter

ghunter Supporting Member

May 16, 2006
    Issaquah, WA
    I have sold a lot of synths and effects on Reverb over the past few years as part of a big purge, and am more than happy with the seller experience. No one there is out to cheat you, and you are protected by their seller's policies.

For a valuable synth like this I would recommend:

- Consider spending the $100-200 to get a local tech to inspect it professionally and post their report in the pics (I'd do this for anything over $3000)
    - Photograph everything before you send it, even take a video of it working
    - Make sure you pack it professionally, maybe even pay for a UPS Store or FedEx Office to do it for you

Doing these things will pretty much guarantee that your sale will be smooth.

thetragichero and g-dude like this.
  19. pbass2

pbass2 Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    ALWAYS get the extra protection. I have sold 5 things on Reverb, 2 of which were damaged in shipping. Otherwise, it's been pretty seamless. And Reverb took care of the damage issues without a snag. Another thing I've noticed--I've been getting cheaper shipping via Reverb than going directly with UPS or Fedex.

SoulReflection and g-dude like this.
  20. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Passenger, Ship of Fools Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    If you have a reputable local shop that you trust to sell it, see if they accept consignments. They may take 20% of the sale but after listing and sales fees (and maybe shipping costs) on Reverb, you would be pretty close to the same "take home."

DOMIT and g-dude like this.