Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sennheiser e609

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by CrazyTwoKnobs, Jan 17, 2004.

1. What's the deal with this mic? Is it worthwhile at $99? Does it work with bass cabs? What else, besides a d112 and a 57 work for recording bass cabs? (I tried an re20 also, didn't work too well) Anybody know about the Neumann bass cab mic? I used one at gravity studios, but haven't been able to find one elsewhere or even a model number.... Sorry for having so many questions...... TAM

2. Check out the Sennheiser MD 421. I use this mic all the time in my studio for bass and I think it rocks.

[​IMG]

D112's rate high on my list as a kick drum or bass cab mic.

The RE20's are excellent for Upright bass, IMHO.

If all elase fails, try a SM 58, it works too.

I am not aware of any mic made by Neumann specifically for bass, there are many that are good for bass.

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    The 609 is more of a Tom mic. I would not use it for bass unless it was all I had, well I would use it over a 58 or 57. I agree with Treena, I don't think Neuman makes a bass specific mic. Its possible you say a u87 or u67 on a bass cab somewhere. Oh yeah, the 421 is great, great for toms as well. The Audix D6 is one I would like to try, its more tailored for Kick, but I bet it would be great for a bass cab.

4. I keep reading that it's made specifically for guitar cabs. But you're right, great for toms too probably. Yeah, I'm a little reticent to try the D6 too.

5. I own a D6 and as you have stated they are designed for Kick but any mic designed for Kick can be used for Bass, it makes sense if you think about the sound pressure these mics are up against!

The D6 does have a mid-range scoop designed for Kick , so it would be softer in the mids......

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's a good tip. Kick drums with mids sound a lot like a box cardboad box. In a live situation they also have a tendancy to feed back in the low mids. So kick drum mics do have a mid scoop. Remember that when you're recording and mixing.

7. I don't think I've ever heard a kick feed back, but that's helpful to know. You guy's don't happen to know what the predecesor to the D112 is called, do you? I saw one on ebay, and almost bought it right away.

Oh, and about the 609, my guitarist mentioned that one was used to mic the BACK of an open back guitar cabinet. You can hear it in University 's recordings.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    In a live environment, anything goes :)

9. I wouldn't hesitate throwing the silver beauty on a 10" speaker. It works, but definately has a sound to it.

If your considering a 57/58 or something similiar (Sennheiser 835/845 are pretty cool too) I'd lump this mic into the thought process. I really like mine.