1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Separate EQing

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by L.A. Moore, Sep 27, 2008.

1. I was at a show a little while back and looking at the FOH rack I noticed the sound mand had 2 or 3 dual 15 channel eq's set for bass drum, bass guitar, vocals. Does anyone else do this? I'm assuming they were patched to each channel.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, why on earth would you EQ each instrument the same? Unless I misunderstand your question.

3. From what I gatherd he would use 1 15 channel on each instament channel, so 15 for bass drum, the other 15 for bass guitar. He's the only sound man i've ever seen do that. Most around here eq off the board then eq the main mix.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    And that's usually fine for most applications. But some soundmen are married to graphic EQ's because they like having more control over narrower frequency bands rather than a general tone knob set at a fixed frequency.

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's a little different, but the general idea isn't unheard of...many engineers carry parametrics for their money channel(s), so maybe this guy was doing the cheap version of it?

I used to carry preamps / parametrics for the critical channels in my tour days. Usually meant the lead vocal and the kick drum for rock. It was a life saver whenever I walked into a lower-quality-than-expected rig (aka rider said Midas, venue supplied Mackie). The Midas XL42 saved my butt a few times.

-Mark

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nowadays, I'm working with more soundmen who have all their EQ's and effects on a computer as plug-ins. I'd like to learn more about doing that. Bet you'd have to have a very powerful CPU with a lot of RAM, though.

7. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Yup, it's available...but I'm the old-fashioned "like to turn a knob" kind of engineer. I don't trust ANY computer that much.

I don't even care for most digital consoles, with the notable exception of Digico. I've toured with those and love them.

I haven't tried the Midas XL8 yet, but from what I've heard I might like it as well. Not likely I'll come across one anytime soon with the $300,000+ price tag, though. :eek:

-Mark

8. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I am still amazed when sound guys EQ the whole mix to get maximum gain-before-feedback from one vocal mic. The logic seems to be "the vocals feed back at 630 Hz therefore I am going to eradicate 630 Hz from vocal, bass, drums, keys, guitars, ...."

Maybe this guy has it right!

9. I don't think many sound guys do that. Maybe they do it for the vocal monitors but the front of house is not likely to feedback from vocal mics generally anyway.

10. I wish I had asked the guy about it. I'd like to know more about his reasoning behind it.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm betting mrokern's thought about parametric EQ is on the right track. It's pretty common for certain instruments to have problems with dead spots or wolf notes in certain rooms, and a regular 3-band or 4-band mixer channel EQ cannot fix those.

12. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    The engineer might have just been running a graphic EQ for each monitor mix. I know I do it - it's the best way to cut down on feedback, especially if you get a singing drummer who needs his monitors turned up to the point of bleeding ears. I usually throw an outboard para on the lead vocal and kick, but generally speaking, you won't need per-channel outboard EQ if you're running a half-decent board.

Of course, that's assuming the band isn't spewing a terrible sound into your precious PA and you have to EQ the hell out of it just to hear what's going on.

13. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    +1

possible labelling for according wedge (e.g. drummer, bassist etc.)

14. He had a seperate eq section below effects and compression, one for foh and one for monitors I belive, next time I'll take a camera with me.

15. Well that is totally different and completely normal. I run 31 band eq's for each mix myself.