Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sequoia or Tahoe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Mar 18, 2006.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My wife and I have decided to say good-bye to our trusty 2001 Durango. Because of how tall we both are, an SUV is a must.

Our choices have been narrowed down to a Chevy Tahoe (shudder), or a Toyota Sequoia. I wanted a Ford, but was quickly overruled by the wife. She will drive it WAY more than I will, so I thought it would be a good idea to let her get what she wants.

I'll be hitting all the auto websites for reviews, and service problem history's. I also wanted to check in with my bass bro's and hopefully hear some personal experiences on either. Thanks!!

-Mike

2. Sequoia--but surely there must be something less fuel-thirsty that can accommodate your height and your cargo needs!

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I work for a Toyota dealership, so I'm biased-SEQUOIA!!! :hyper:

Toyota builds a great product, and stands behind it if there ever is a problem.

Hope that helps ;)

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    4rummer rules me

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Check out the new FJ40 thats coming out! very nice, it's built on the 4Runner platform. Check out Toyota's website for more info!

6. I'm not trying to complicate your decision, but check out a Nissan Murano before you make your purchase. Lots of room, especially with the back seats down (they fold flat, unlike many others), great handling, comfort and gas mileage (for the mid-size SUV/wagon class). Check out Edmunds and IntelliChoice, those sites are good research material for auto choices.

In the full disclosure vein, I bought a Murano about two weeks ago after lots of research and test drives. My smile keeps getting bigger each time I drive it, the '06 Murano is a great vehicle. :D

7. No, THIS is what you want:

[​IMG]

A Lamborghini LM002!! It's a hummer with a V12 and leather interior!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Already had one of those. I didn't like the factory CD player. Just kidding. :D

Peter....yeah, it sucks for us. I'm 6'5", my wife is 6'3", and our son is 6'3". We have found a few cars that have good legroom, but none of us like getting in and out of cars, they're too close to the ground. Trucks or SUV's are the way we have to go.

-Mike

9. Damn, you is big peoples!!:eek:

Rock on
    Eric

10. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Huh. I'm 6'3" and my Focus leaves me with about 5 inches of headroom. Heck, I was thinking about chopping the roof. But ignore me... I'm just a SUV/truck hater. I think trucks are great at um... hauling stuff. And SUVs are good for... creating more drag than a station wagon, which otherwise fulfills the same purpose. C'mon, really... who takes an SUV offroad? Maybe a Land Rover Defender 90. Me, I want a UNIMOG.

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    rewriten: :D

I saw it on the net, looks kind of cool... What I find weird is the windows in the car. It just doesn’t look like it’s so great for visibility when off-roading.

Is it in dealers yet? I'd love to check it out:) and no white?

12. burgerme

burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    Got a buddy who's wife totalled their 2004 Suburban a few weeks ago, and he's buying one of the new Tahoes, so I've shopped 'em pretty extensively.

Don't get me wrong, Toyota's are very reliable and have great resale, and i'm a Landcruiser guy at heart (have had 2 of 'em). But after looking at them I think the new Tahoes are just suh-weet, and that's what I'd go for hands down.

The Sequoia is cool and all, but it's pretty underpowered for it's mass (19.5 lb/hp vs. 17.8 lb/hp), and yet still gets worse fuel mileage than the Tahoe (15/17 vs. 15/21).

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is an utter no-brainer, given the choice. Whatever extra bells and whistles you may get out of the Tahoe, the reliability of the Sequoia far outweighs them. American-made SUV's will spend inordinate amounts of time in the shop. I've had two Land Cruisers and a Sequoia, and the only repair I ever had was a radiator flush at 160,000 miles in the first Land Cruiser. That car now belongs to a friend of mine and it has over 300,000 miles on it and never had the head off the engine.

I drove a Sequoia for four years, and the only thing I'd replace it with would be a Land Cruiser, and so I did. However, the Sequoia is a foot longer than the LC, and I kind of miss the extra hauling space.

As far as power, I never had any complaints. As far as mileage, come on, it's an SUV.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Although at 6', i'm not as tall, I will agree the Focus has a lot of headroom. It only really lacks in shoulder room, or rear seat legroom.

My old Mustang is a pain to get in and out of. It has a lot of legroom, but to get out, I have to kick my leg up and over the kick panel, brush up against the steering wheel, and duck so I don't hit my head on the way out.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Thanks Munji. I appreciate you taking the time to type that all out. Pretty much just what I was looking for. I'm leaning to the Toyota too. I drove a 2003 Limited today, and it was suh-weet!

barthanatos......you talking a Ford Focus? No way I could ever fit all three of us in that thing and drive to Seattle, or go camping. My SUV needs have nothing to do with being able to go off roading. If someone made a car that sat high of the ground and had lots of legroom, I'd buy it right now. I will say though that we do drive around on the beach at Westport, and in the sand dunes at Moses Lake in our Durango.

-Mike

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That's what I thought. I need shoulder room, and leg room front and back. I'm not a 6'5" bean pole. :)

-Mike

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Oh btw i backup the Toyota idea as well...

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    But:

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I don't know what that's about. All I do know is that I am mad.

-Mike

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX