Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

serial wiring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by a00nick, Feb 5, 2006.

1. a00nick

a00nick

Dec 28, 2005
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I recently got a Hartke 4X10 XL speaker cabinet thats 240 watts at 8 ohms. I eventualy want to get another cabinet, the Hartke 115 XL. My amp head has 2 output plugs for speakers, and the cabinet I have now has 2 input plugs but no outpug plugs. If I ever get the second cab, how would i go about making the speakers be serial wiried so taht the impedance drops to 4 ohms. Thanks

~Nick

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Two 8-Ohm speakers in parallel is what gives you 4 Ohms. Just plug each cab into one of the two outputs on the amp.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's all the same. The input plugs are output plugs as well.

If you add a second cab that is also 8 ohms, the total nominal impedance will be 4 ohms. You've got 2 ways to wire it up which both result in the same 4 ohm load: 1)You can plug the second cab into the 2nd output on the amp, or 2) plug the second cab into the first cab.

4. If you plug the second cab into the first cab, won't it be a serial connection leading to 16 ohms load?? I know I'm wrong so please correct me :)

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    No, that's still parallel and 4 ohms. You can't wire seperate cabs in series unless you make up special cables. It's enough of a hassle that no-one bothers with it nowadays.

If you deem it's really necessary, let me know and I'll talk you through it.

6. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    No one except James Hart. The jerk. ;)