1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Series/Parallel and Blend pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Yvarg, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    So my stew mac order of electronics finally came in and I've been drawing up possible wiring diagrams for my bass. I want there to be a blend pot, a volume pot, and a tone push/pull pot that will work as a series parallel switch. I've never found any finalized diagrams for this though (there was a thread a few months back on the subject, but I don't think there was ever a conclusive diagram). In any case, do any of you wiring gurus know if this diagram would achieve what I'm after?
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. I tried, really I did, but parts of that are utterly unreadable.

Can I suggest you work out a colour scheme for the wires so that there's not one big squiggle of green lines over by the blend pot!?

3. Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Ha, yeah . . . sorry 'bout that. Didn't think about how readable it is to others; I'll colour code it after I get back from orchestra practice. XP

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Can leave out the ground wires too, makes things more readable. Just use the ground symbol wherever you intend to connect a wire to ground.

5. Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Okay, Every connection is a different colour (sorry colour blind people) XP

[​IMG]

Thanks again, people!

6. Hmm... ok, a couple of things strike me.

First, your volume pot, it doesn't seem to have any connection to ground - where I'd expect a ground to be, it actually goes back to the blend pot (light blue). The standard volume pot configuration is to have the input signal connected to the first terminal, the output connected to the middle terminal, and the third terminal grounded.

Next, the tone pot looks right, but it usually comes after the volume pot - between the volume and the output jack. Yours is before the volume pot. Whether it matters or not I can't decide!

The series/parallel switch looks about right.

The blend pot is still whacky - ignoring ground for a moment, the blend pot should only have one wire between it and the volume pot. Look closely at the dark blue and dark green wires - they both go to the same terminal of the volume pot. You could connect those two points with a diagonal line back at the blend pot (to make an 'X' with the yellow line) and draw 1 line to the volume pot. This would make it clearer. Then you need to work out what that light blue line is doing!

7. Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
  8. That's looking more like it. I would ground that last terminal on the volume pot, but aside from that it should be good to go.

9. Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Cool, I'll try it out then. Thanks for all the help! :cool: