1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Series10 Madness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thumbslapper, Jan 16, 2019.

1. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    I bought my sparkly purple Series10 at a pawn shop about 25 years ago after my Tokai Jazz got stolen, I put in EMGs and it was my main bass for about 6 months. I got much nicer basses since then (Alembic, Pedulla, Dingwall) but always held on to my Series10 - I loaned it to friends who were learning to play and my daughter played it at a band camp. I know it was made in Korea but very little else about them - the quality is just OK but the neck plays hella fast.

Fast Forward to 2018 and the trumpet player in the band I'm in (Musique De Mars) brings in a bass that hasn't worked in a while & asks if I can fix it, and whips out a steel-grey 5 string Series10 (which is a much nicer Series10 then mine).

Turns out the jack was shorting out & $10 later its up & running, and I was able to take this haunting picture of 2 Series10 basses together - perhaps for the first time in US history outside a music store:

series10_1.

Anyone else have one? Anyone have any more info on this mysterious company?

-carl

bound'n'blocked and bholder like this.
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    My very first bass was a Series 10 P-bass copy; it was sunburst with a tort pickguard. It was my one and only bass for my first 3-4 years of playing. Looking back, the thing really did play well and sounded good. I sure wish I knew whatever happened to that thing.

3. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I first heard of them in the 80's. The very 1st band I was in - a guitar player friend of mine had a Series 10 by Bentley strat style guitar.

I had no idea they ever made any basses though - cool. In my defense, they didn't really have a website (or an internet to put it on) back then. :D

Cool looking bass! :thumbsup:

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Not so mysterious, there used to be loads of them about.