1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Serious Question Guys

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rldg!, Apr 15, 2009.

1. rldg!

rldg!

Nov 12, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    So, I've been looking into getting a ported cab, and I don't know where to start. Pretty much I'm looking for something with 8 speakers that's ported. The only ones I've found are the Fender, SWR and Aguilar 810's that are ported.

I do though, have an old Ampeg 810e that I'm not using anymore, and I was just wondering if any of you had ever heard / seen someone port their own cab, 'do it yourself' kind of deal.

Thanks everyone,
    -Richard

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The Basson 810 is ported but really requires a power amp to push the cab to a high amount of power right away. Otherwise, I have not dealt with porting my own cabinets, sorry I can not help you there.

I suggest you look for two good ported 410's so you can downsize on certain stages where stage volume is a concern. Is this for you or your band? Having a massive cab produce massive low end and volume is generally not very helpful on MOST stages.

3. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Do-it-yourself ported cabinets?

I wouldn't recommend it. Acoustic engineers design those cabinets with certain specifications in mind. Any after-market porting would change the specs.

4. rldg!

rldg!

Nov 12, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Right now I'm running 800W Mono @ 4ohms... would that do justice with the Basson cab?

5. mrpillow

mrpillow

Jun 1, 2008
    Montgomery, TX
    The Carvin 810's are ported I believe.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1, bad idea, and +1 for 2 ported 410's.

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi rldg!.

If you're thinking of porting your 810E, please don't. It's designed to be a sealed cab. You're better off selling it and buying a ported enclosure which meets your needs.

8. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'll say as well that you don't want to go porting a cab that has been designed specifically as a sealed cabinet. The Ampeg 810e has chambers for the sets of 10's and porting it would take quite a few ports.

Eden and Genz Benz also make ported 8x10s. If I were buying a ported 8x10 it would be the Aguilar, but I'd sure give the Fender a good go as well.

9. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Nope. Basson says they need at least 1500 and from what I understand they really like something on the order of 2000 or more!

10. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You could port it, but you would probably have to change the speakers that fit the airspace in the cab. I always heard that the Ampeg 810 cab has a sealed 10s in too small of a box, so porting it, which takes more airspace than sealed, would be a step in the wrong direction with those speakers. This is all guessing, of course, since the only way to know what it will really do is run the speakers through a box building program and see what it cranks out.
    W

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

I find it strange that the number of drivers is important. I always thought the resulting tone and volume was what mattered.

It's like asking for a car that has 15" tires, without thinking about performance, capacity, price, etc.

12. Didn't you know that only cabs with 8 speakers are the ROXXXORZ :meh:

13. rldg!

rldg!

Nov 12, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    its just easier to get on and off stage if its one enclosure, im sure you can bid for that..

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Richard.

Great cabs near you. (If you're on a tight budget you can likely buy a good cab from their rental department. They have payment plans too.)

15. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I was waiting for somebody as a joke to recommend a 4" hole saw in four spots on the back of the AMPEG, but it failed to materialize. I'd sell that 810 and buy something else for sure. But I would test it against the PEG before buying to make sure its what you are really looking for. BOB