1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Settings for GK 1001RB-II(?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, May 28, 2012.

1. I'm looking for some input for the GK 1001RB II amp head. I posted in another thread but it's an older post so I'm not sure what kind of feedback I may get if any.
    The amp has a Volume knob on the Input section and a Master on the output section. I read in the manual to set the Master at 12:00 and use the Volume to set it at a comfortable listening level. I've read some posts on here that say just the opposite. Set the Volume then use the Master to control the output volume. Can you help me out with the way the amp works? As you can see I'm not getting much with just the manual. I'd appreciate any help and maybe some examples of the settings others use. I use either a Jazz or Precision(passive)and play through one or two 410MBE cabs. Thanks for any help.

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    My impression of the GK RB series is that you use the input volume knob for most adjustments. Many other heads use the input volume to push any tubes they might have for some flavor and the master volume to adjust overall volume.

On those GK models, the magic happens post EQ (Boost and Woofer knobs) and not in the preamp. I have read that the preamp get harsh above noon but I cannot swear to it. I've never run mine past 10 o'clock. If I neared noon with it, I would up the Boost/Woofer to the desired volume level. From page five of the manual:
    Hope this helps...
    =wr=

3. I have found running the master high and the gain for volume a little cold sounding. I tried it and went back to just short of max'ing gain before distortion and the master for volume.

4. I know it may depend on the venue but what do you usually have your "input volume" set on? You pre-set your "input volume" then use the "woofer/master" to increase your volume? Btw...are you using the 1001RB II? Thanks.

5. I don't use the 1001rb II but I just spent last Sunday demo'ing the settings for some younger bassists here. With my passive J with SD 1/4 pound pups 11:00-1:00 was the sweet spot on the gain (volume), master ("Woofer") to suit the loudness needs.
    BTW if you see the clip light you must use the pad switch or lower the volume on the bass. The clip light is at the input buffer and not affected by any amp control (except the pad switch).

6. Thanks...that gives me an idea where to start. I just got the amp last week and haven't got to use at a practice yet. I'll try it out this weekend.

7. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I find it best to set my 700rb ii volume around 11:00, boost cranked up to 3:00, woofer around 12:00.

8. This is the typical way to operate a solid state power amp, no surprise that works best for this one.:meh:

9. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    That is a real sweet spot for the 700rbII.

One of the things that has really helped my tone is to keep the input as hot as possible without clipping at the input. I'll use my ebs multicomp or VT pedal to boost up the gain a touch. I do not like the tone of the head once the preamp gain gets much past noon, so I don't go any higher than 11:00. If I need more volume, then I'll bump up the master, and pull down the boost some. It grunts and growls like crazy..... I love it!

I owned the 1001rbII for about a week before returning it for the 700rbII. I just couldn't get that head to "sweeten up" without causing my bandmates to give me dirty looks because of the volume. That thing is so flippin' loud!

10. I'm sorry your point? I realize this not new information to most, but is to the OP. Are you offering help?

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Curious as to why the manual would recommend the "noon" thing, or is it one of a few suggested settings? The boost affects the volume, it helps to have it up a little bit, but noon is already getting grindy. I run mine 9:00-10:00 for cleaner sounds, noon for a bit of grind, higher for more distortion. GK's also get their flavor by running up the input gain, not into clipping but close. Something like the 1001, I'd be inclined to try that and run the master a little lower if it's too loud.

12. My point was I think the manual should be telling them to do it how you posted. I realise the OP doesn't know or he wouldn't be asking.

It's kind of a big call to countermand a manual don't you think? That's where my point helps. The manual is deficient but some sensible types would take its advice seriously until internet opinion swayed them.

13. I don't know why the manual "suggests" the method it does. It more resembles the way old (no master volume) amps ran (leaving headroom for the Boost circuit). Could have it's place in some genres?
    Thanks for explaining. :)

14. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    I'm a little bit stuck here......

The manual is a bit vague on the settings, and I don't know that anything is being countermanded. The manual shows noon to 3:00 in the sample setting section. I think where the manual is deficient (at least to a newbie) would be that there is no indicator of clipping at the pre, except for your ears. I hear no tonal difference at any setting in the preamp volume on the RB series heads when it is kept below noon.

Personally, I don't use the master to control my volume until I hit a point in which going any higher on the preamp gain will result in coloration that I don't want. At that point, I'll start to bump up the master and come down on the boost. Definitely not like a typical solid state amp...... because no other solid state amp sounds as good as the GK when you're pushing the crap out of the master section. In fact, I really don't dig a GK running real clean..... it's when you're getting all that good grunt and growl that you realize why it's a classic. If I can't be at a low enough volume with master at noon, and the boost at 3:00, then I need to be running a smaller cab, or a smaller head.

Funny enough, my master runs between noon and 3:00, just like the manual says.

15. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I run my 700rb-II pretty much like this, with the Booost and Woofer volume @ noon:

G-K700rb-II.jpg

- georgestrings

16. Something I have noticed that brought my 1001 from the dead, and really woke the sound up was setting my input around 10-11 oclock, turning the woofer all the way off....using the makeup gain from my compressor till the clip light flashes and backing it off till the hardest hits on my b string barley make it flash (and it is a weak flash at that) then adjust your woofer to desired listening levels. Now when I use my boost knob, it's a very very apparent difference in tone from 12 oclock nice normal gk sound to 3 oclock, all hells broken loose. But thats just one guys opinion.

17. Make that two guys' opinions. I do exactly that same thing.

It took a while to figure that out, but it makes a HUGE difference.

Get that input as hot as possible, and then your boost circuit has something to work with, and you can get some nice grungy growl!

18. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    And just to make matters even more complicated, don't all the RB manuals state something to the effect that you get the cleanest sound by running the master all the way up? Thus implying that you can get distortion by lowering it? So: all three knobs can bring you distortion? I've loved GKs for nearly 30 years, have 3 of them (an OLD 400RB, a 1001RBII, and a new MB200), and I still don't exactly understand how they work. (Except for the straightforward MB200.) :)

19. Yea the manual doesn't seem to helpful when it comes to really getting that growly GK tone. When I discovered the "Getting my signal as hot as possible", My 1001 will growl, and grind at almost any volume. Don't need to hit the rails with outright volume. Just the hotter signal will do it. I don't use the pad, just wait till it clips, then back it off. You Might have to adjust this when your at gig volume though, YMMV. For me, it opened up the mids quite abit. It just seems to have balls now.

20. I'm very interested in this thread since I have a 1001 rb-ii as well. I'm running a Darkglass b3K into a VT bass deluxe and into the GK instrument input (not effects loop). My typical settings are preamp volume around 10:00, pad off, voicing filters off, EQ flat (noon), boost at 1:00-2:00 and I use the woofer to adjust volume. My problem is I'm worried about blowing speakers, since I can't seem to turn the woofer past 10:00 without drowning everything out (2 loud thrash guitarist and drums) plus my tone gets muffled and indistinct. I'm using an Avatar b410 Neo. Oh, and my pedals are pretty close to unity gain.

I should mention that I've never seen my clip light go off. So, if I understand what some of you are saying, in order to get a sweet tone from this head I should try to raise the level on the VT bass so that my signal is really hot - close to clipping, use the volume on the GK to control overall volume (like the manual says) and try to keep my boost around 3:00 and woofer around noon? :meh:

Then again, since I'm using those pedals to dirty up my signal, maybe I want the amp super clean. If anyone can shed some light on this for me, I'd appreciate it!

Man, this amp is perplexing. Thanks for any advice.