1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Setup for Flats

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Jan 7, 2004.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Howdy gang!

I just got my Rotosound Trubass Nylon Flatwounds in the mail and I was reading on the box that they are "ultra-low tension" but they are much larger strings than my usual roundwounds. The low B is a .135 and the G is a .65 (the largest G I've ever played with roundwounds was .50). So are flatwounds generally lower tension than rounds of the same guage? Also, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for setting up a bass for flatwounds, i.e. any special tips that apply only to flats.

I'm planning on getting the bass set up by a tech eventually since the nut may have to be filed due to the larger strings, but I would like to be able to do the basic setup myself.

Thanks!
    Justin

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    The flats I used to play, Fenders, asctually had higher tension than any of the other strings I have played. It's hard to judge flats that way, so you might have to resort to a "wait and see" philosophy. Maybe somebody knows a secret about flats I don't, but I would just adjust your bass as you see necessary.