Setup for Flats

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Jan 7, 2004.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Howdy gang!

I just got my Rotosound Trubass Nylon Flatwounds in the mail and I was reading on the box that they are "ultra-low tension" but they are much larger strings than my usual roundwounds. The low B is a .135 and the G is a .65 (the largest G I've ever played with roundwounds was .50). So are flatwounds generally lower tension than rounds of the same guage? Also, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for setting up a bass for flatwounds, i.e. any special tips that apply only to flats.

I'm planning on getting the bass set up by a tech eventually since the nut may have to be filed due to the larger strings, but I would like to be able to do the basic setup myself.

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The flats I used to play, Fenders, asctually had higher tension than any of the other strings I have played. It's hard to judge flats that way, so you might have to resort to a "wait and see" philosophy. Maybe somebody knows a secret about flats I don't, but I would just adjust your bass as you see necessary.