1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Setup? Low E is louder than all else!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by NexTnmE, Jan 25, 2012.

1. NexTnmE

NexTnmE

Jun 30, 2010
    CT
    I've had my Ibanez SRX3EXQM1 for about two years now and still cant get this darn low-E string issue fixed. I guess I might have to give up and take it in.

I play std, drop d tuning most of the time, using D'Addario flatwounds. Lately I've been playing 1-step down, drop-c.

Both cases the low-E thru G# are really loud compaired to all the other notes/strings, so I raised the string as much as I could, or am willing to sacrifice the action - that helped somewhat.

Then I lowered that side of the pick-ups into the body - helped somewhat, but now the A-string is lacking.

I've tried to EQ it out, but it always seems to effect the A-string negatively, specifically C - D#.

I'm really at a loss because this guitar was new straight off the guitar center wall. They said they only had it a few weeks before I bought it. Shouldn't it be setup pretty good from the factory? The Ibanez SR370M I bought a few moths after this one, is perfect!

:confused:

2. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    Get a new bass, and save more stress!

3. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    And you expected it to be setup? GC is usually, out of the box, on the wall--if you're lucky, a guy with a bunch of product in his hair, made an attempt to tune it.

Does this occur through other amp/cabinet combinations?

4. NexTnmE

NexTnmE

Jun 30, 2010
    CT
    Hmm. I guess I thought that Ibanez would have set it up before it went out the door...my bad...

But yes it is noticeable on my other amps and cabs too...

5. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    A factory setup usually means an instrument will play...okay.

Do you notice this playing unplugged?

6. NexTnmE

NexTnmE

Jun 30, 2010
    CT
    Never tried that...I'll give it a go.

I've gone through several sets of strings and gages of them too...

7. Dymond-

Dymond-

Jan 26, 2011
    London, ON
    Compressor?

8. NexTnmE

NexTnmE

Jun 30, 2010
    CT
    The strings are pretty even when not plugged in...

9. NexTnmE

NexTnmE

Jun 30, 2010
    CT
    I'm using the compressor on my R1000 with a BBE sonic maximizer. I used to have a SR405QM that sounded good with this same setup...same pickups as my current SR370M

*sigh...its probably the bass :-(

10. BassNut93

BassNut93

May 29, 2011
    +1

11. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    Maybe you're tuning that low C outside of the string's comfort zone. the lower the string's tension, the more it vibrates. The more a string vibrates, the more energy is transferred to sound via the pickup (I think). Try a higher gauge string? Maybe something hex-core. You need a little more stiffness.

A Lo-Rider set (.115-.085- .065- .045) is what I used for drop C. Some guys will come in here and gripe about matched tension, but this feels "right" to me. The hex-cores allow me to tune the ADG strings down a full step without getting floppy.

12. NexTnmE

NexTnmE

Jun 30, 2010
    CT
    I'm using d'addario chromes flatwound ECB82'S, 105 is on my drop-c setup...

I'll have to pull out my old peavey tour 450 and see what thats like...i just understand because its only this guitar...and that string

13. This. Before changing strings again, crank the action up on that string. Bring it way up.

14. NexTnmE

NexTnmE

Jun 30, 2010
    CT
    Oy...I'll try it...but the action is going to be stupid high then :-\

15. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I don't think higher action is going to equate to higher tension.

Flatwounds? For drop C? Interesting choice. It may or may not be a factor in your booming E.

Try a new set of roundwound strings, and if that doesn't cut it, seek professional help.

16. NexTnmE

NexTnmE

Jun 30, 2010
    CT
    I just really like the dark warm tone of the flatwounds. Not to mention how smooth and fast they are.

I appreciate all the input, but if there really isnt a glaring issue then i think i should get it setup by a pro shop.

17. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you shouldn't have to have high action at all, that has nothing to do with this issue.

and if it was pickup height, all the notes on the E would be too hot, not just the lowest ones.

how are you running the onboard EQ? ibanez EQs tend to be way more powerful than they should be, with massive boost; boosting too much bass causes just the kind of uneven response you're experiencing.

flatten out the EQ knobs (set them to their center detents) and try again. a little boost is fine, but you should be nowhere near diming any of the EQ knobs.