Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Setup suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by storm10, Dec 21, 2004.

1. I need a setup that will work for both my Upright and my electric bass. As of right now i think i know what cab i want and thats a avatar b210pro. But as for a head i have no idea. It needs to be under $400 also. I also need something that is quite portable becuase going to practice involves going up steps.

2. I suggest a SWR WM 12. I know that you have a speaker cab in mind but wouldn't a combo amp be more portable/practical? It also has a 8ohm extention speaker output that you could use if you needed and little more volume. The preamp is great for electric and upright.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a 210 sounds a bit non-portable to me. Most doublers use 1x12 cabs these days. But anyhow, check out the used market on here or elsewhere. If you're not looking to get super loud, there are some great used heads that should be around there

4. well im going to need to get pretty loud. The drummer in my band plays really loud.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    is trhe avatar 4 ohms or 8 ohms? If you are really stuck on a budget and the avatar is available in 4 ohms you might want to get the 4 ohm model. I'm not sure how many watts the avatar can handle, but "loud" to me means you should be puttign at least 200-400 watts into your cab, and ehads that do this into 8 ohms are more expensive than ones that do it into 4 ohms. You're also going to need to look at used.