1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seymour Duncan Alnico on a Tony Levin 5 string OLP

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Leo Dale, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Leo Dale

Leo Dale

Jan 28, 2018
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/olp-tony-levin-signature-5-string-bass

I've had this bass for several years now (in orange finish though), so it's already a bit used but I was thinking of putting a seymour duncan alnico humbucker on it to make it closer to a stingray and see basically if it's still got something original to offer. Is this the best choice or are there even better alternatives? Is this even worth it?

2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I put a ceramic Duncan along with the Duncan ray pre amp in my SUB and it kills

klaymaster and Zoobiedood like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Welcome to TalkBass!!!!!

This is a copout answer. But only you can decide if it's "worth it".

For me, if it plays good and mostly sounds good, I don't care how cheap it is or whether others like it. I'll dump some money in it to get it to sound the way I want it to.

I'm no expert on MM pickup choices so I'll leave that part to others.

4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think the SD pickup would be a nice improvement. However, is the pickup available with the cover that has the old style mounting “ears”? If not, you may have to make some modifications.

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    That is an awesome bass. I am not sure of how the pickup is mounted (I can't tell from the picture). You can see the measurements on the MM-style pickup we make here.

6. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    This is a picture of my OLP. It is not the Tony Levin version and there may be a slight difference in string spacing. The Seymour Duncan SMB-5A is made for the actual musicman string spacing and pickup route. Despite the slight offset from the magnets, I don't experience any difference in sustain or volume. Just wanted to show you what a Duncan might look like.

By the way. It sounds way better for my liking. I also really like the ceramic pickup they make, but it's a little honkier.

Attached Files:

Zoobiedood likes this.
  7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Did you have to expand the pickup route in the body, or just cut the pickguard opening?

8. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    I just cut the pickguard opening. The body route is just slightly big enough to allow extra space.

Slater likes this.
  9. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Try an SD preamp with it, highly underappreciated.
    You see them here $50-75.
    Just get rid of the blend and voila, it's the MM preamp.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  10. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    FB_IMG_1525894895047.jpg
    check it out with no pickguard

Zoobiedood and Slater like this.
  11. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    Nordstrand MM 5.2 or 5.4 OLP models fit perfectly, exposed mount ears, string spacing, and all. They sound great paired with an original-style MM 2 band pre.

12. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    Do a search, there are TB members that found Alnico MM pickups tend to sound all the same.
    4-conductor is best bc you can experiment with single.
    Series/parallel is a must, you get more out of preamps when you can go for power or harmonic depth.

13. klaymaster

klaymaster

Jun 10, 2016
    I really wanted to try Nordy. Either 5.4 or Bigman. But I only paid $150 for the bass and didn't want to spend more than that on a pickup.

14. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017

When in doubt either of the SD MM's + a cheapie SD preamp works.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021