1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Seymour Duncan SMB-4a

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassWindu711, Aug 7, 2012.

1. I ordered this PU for my warmoth bass build. It sounds pretty good on clips I heard and I love MM basses. I was just wondering if guys own know anything about it from first hand usage?

2. I have one in a Precision/MM project (Wich I just played at a show this eve). I think it's a decent pickup, has enough bite and grit.

I do not know how it acts in a Stingray type bass, an active pre, or as the primary pickup in the 'sweet spot'. But I think it's the perfect addition to my Precision.

3. I ordered it with an active pre amp and the PU is located in the sweet spot.
    Thanks for the info.

4. NelsonVandal

NelsonVandal

Jul 6, 2012
    I really like this pickup. Everything about it is just right. I've placed mine 8.5 cm middle of pickup to bridge saddles. For me there's not much to wish for. Decent? What would you like to change? My bass is nothing like an MM (alder body and fretless aluminium neck), but this pickup makes it sound like one. There's no wonder why Stingray is one of the most sought after musical instruments, one of the few (or only) classics after Precision and Jazz. The pickup sounds best in parallel (if you like the classic Musicman sound). It's OK serial but slightly boomy. As single coil and in the position mentioned above I prefer the "neck" coil, but it's a bit noisy and prone to pick up interference. I've compared it to a Bartolini MME in this bass. SD is rock 'n' roll and Bartolini is... I don't know. No character, no sex appeal. SD has plenty of it.

I haven't tweaked the sound with eq. With the SD I feel no need for it. Maybe the Bartolini comes to life with a good eq.