1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SF/ bay area bass shops?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgt Baker, May 16, 2011.

1. Sgt Baker

Sgt Baker

Aug 20, 2010
    I'm in San Fran for the week with my family, and was wondering if you guys knew of any cool bass emporiums around the bay! Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. I can't think of anything retail that might be spectacular, but the Alembic factory is around here (Sebastopol?), and they give tours. But that's my reckoning from a thread 3+ months ago about visiting the Bay area. Gelb Music in Redwood City could be worth a visit. Zon Guitars is in Redwood City, but I wonder if they give tours. :)

Here's the thread discussing Bay Area for visitors from last February. Might be some ideas lurking in this thread:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/do-san-francisco-napa-valley-743489/

3. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    There's a music store in Redwood City by the name of Gelb Music. Hands down the best music store in the Bay Area. Ed is the bass guy and he knows his stuff. They have everything from Roscoe's, Sadowsky's, Elrick's, and Fender's. It's located in Redwood City, which is about 30 miles south of San Francisco.

722 El Camino Real, Redwood City.

4. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    +1 on Gelb. Bass and Beyond is near Sacramento if you're going that far. Alembic is in Santa Rosa, about 50 miles north of SF. Mesa is in Petaluma, about 30 miles north. Sad to say, but SF really has very little besides GC. You won't be bored, though. Enjoy.

5. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    Gelb is about all we got that is any good. Go to the Exploratorium and the Acadamy of Sciences. It's crab season, hit Fishermans Warf.

6. Archaeobass

Archaeobass Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Gelb is excellent. Probably a 30 minute drive from the city, but worth it.

But you really should see the Academy of Sciences and have some crab. ;)

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, they don't.

But they are very close to Gelb Music, which is a great place to go and has tons of instruments. I live down the street and never go because I hate torture, but they have a fantastic selection and are very friendly.

8. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's alright. Too bad their website hasn't been updated in 5-6 years.

10. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Angus do they have as many cool basses as the website appears to show? Seems like $500-$600 could get you a neat bass or two if ya shop right or show up on a day when "Fatdog smoked a bunch".....

11. Bananas at large in San Rafael just north of San Fran is a pretty awesome store, and every now and then they'll have a pretty badas** pro come by, I remember last year they had Billy Sheehan and Victor Wooten. (separately)