Shank's Strings -- ETown, PA

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jason Hollar, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Just wanted to post a big thumbs up to Mike and Linda Shank in Elizabethtown, PA. I recently made the 250 mile trip from Pittsburgh to have my bass set up.

Great shop, killer inventory, expert advice and exceptional service.

Mike planed my graphite fingerboard, fixed a crack on the top, redid the nut, and installed a new sound post. The result is a bigger, fuller sound, and now much easier to play! I also had him install a new a set of Obligatos -- which I'm really enjoying.

Also wanted to brag and let everyone know just how refined my tastes have become in basses...

I spent about an hour in his awesome showroom and managed to briefly try almost every one of his almost 3 dozen basses in stock. I found the one with the biggest sound and a very nice finish and asked him how much...

Looks like I found one of the most expensive basses in the shop -- only $35,000! I told my wife and she said: "Does it have wheels?...Because it better drive your @ss to the gig!"

Kudos again to the Shanks!
  2. maxito

maxito Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2006
    Yeah, I'll piggy back on this one. Mike and Linda are great! I also drive about two 1/2 hours from Maryland to their place in Elizabethtown, PA. What really impresses me about Mike - after a dozen or so visits, and watching him interact with other clients, too - is that he treats everybody that comes in there with respect and understanding. It doesn't matter if you come in there with an old Kay, a barely dry Chinese eBay bass, an EUB, or a Gagliano - he treats each customer & each bass as though it's the most important project he is working on. I am always confident that a trip to Shank's is well worth the drive.
  3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Been with the Shanks for quite a while now and send everyone that I can.