Sheehan's Vids

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by xolin, Oct 16, 2003.

1. I just saw Billy Sheehan on bass, and I must say that it was a great vid. I really only learned some small exercises and how some of his techniques are actually pretty simple, but I learned most about how it all fits into music. Really, he knows what to focus on in his instruction. He's a pretty smart guy (well...for live gig advice at least :p ), and if you watch his videos it helps you get everything you work on and do in another perspective. I'm not gonna repeat what he said, but i suggest you pick up a vid of his if you can (it also had a vid of him doing a solo with talas with some of his signature licks in there).

PS he didnt know what a chromatic scale, diatonic scale or half of the musical stuff the guy said meant. BUT he knows major minor scales and the modes...but he apparently figured everything out when he was actually playing, eh "Trial by fire" as he puts it. This vid gives me a whole new outlook on what and how i play on bass.

Peace :cool:
  2. yeah, I've learned a lot from his videos "on bass" and "bass secrets".

however, since I learned about modes and other theory, it's shocking to go back and watch those videos- to see how little he knows about theory, especially considering how long he's been playing....

anyway, he says on his site that he'll be doing a new instructional vid, also that the previous one's are to be reissued on DVD.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I have those two instruction videos. In fact, they were the first videos I bought when I started playing bass...way back in 1992. I admit a lot went over my head when I first watched. Then I watched again a year later and it was amazing how much more sense it made having spent a lot of time in between learning theory and tecnique.

I really admire Billy Sheehan. He was my bass hero and theone I wanted most to be like at that time. Actually all these years later, it would still be cool to play like him.
  4. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    If I ever see it, I'll pick it up. I'm not a big fan of him, but he seems pretty cool and sure can play! I'll watch the vid just to get a little better.
  5. Miles Davis Fan I See!

Anyway, Yeah he's got chops, and i love his solos (his songs dont really cut it with me...but i wasnt around in the Anyway i like his style and Im actually now using a lot of that fast (economic!) fingering stuff to do jazz soloes (raking chords, fast fingerings, similar scale position ideas, etc). Its sounding good so far, and is pretty easy considering you get a big array of notes with little right hand or left hand movement. Anyway, he may not know his theory, but he knows what sounds good to fans (I must admit i do like a lot of DLR stuff and all of billy's solos) and has good stage presence.

Oh...and why do a lot of good bass players have kinda buck teeth? Just a side comment : (wooten, claypool, sheehan (i only noticed on this vid), and a few other bassists ive seen)