1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sheet Music Storage solutions? (no ipad/tablet suggestions, please!!)

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by damonsmith, Jan 30, 2017.

1. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    I used to use a heavy file cabinet, but left it behind in the move north. I got some smaller plastic file boxes at a Goodwill that don't fit. I do have several large format solo scores but I am OK finding a different solution for those. I have TONS of International Editions and other method books so I am looking for that size. What are people using?
    I want to go more portable than a flat file, though.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA

Attached Files:

Groove Doctor likes this.
  3. 1smileymn

1smileymn

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I have a classical flute playing friend that travels a lot, and has an extensive score library. She uses a lot of standard large tupperware style containers. I switched over from a file cabinet to that, and I think it saves space and is easier/quicker to find music that I'm looking for. Sounds like you're covered though. I do keep some oversized scores in a different location (mostly Christian Wolff stuff).

Groove Doctor and damonsmith like this.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Do you lay your scores flat in that, 2 deep, or? My brain can't quite fathom the 5 shallow drawer paradigm.

Like Smiley above, I use plastic bins for storage of books the size of Simandl etc.

5. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Yes, they lay flat.

6. My piano teacher stored her music in two beautiful old clothes wardrobes, with added shelves at custom heights. She taught from her lounge room, kept everything she needed in there & simply closed the doors when finished.

I store misc stuff in plastic tubs on shelving in the garage. It's so practical - everything is organised, quick to find, I can carry the tub with me anywhere, & keeps silverfish/moths/dust out. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
  8. Neil Pye

Neil Pye

Apr 13, 2016
    Horsham, UK
  9. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Legal-sized suspension files take up less space than drawers. Laying flat makes sense for maps, but not for scores, IMO.