1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shimmy chorus like EH Clone Theory but less noise?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by savinggrace, Apr 27, 2010.

1. I just got a Maxon Cs-9 Pro to replace my EH Clone Theory due it being a bit noisy.

The Maxon is an amazing chorus pedal and it does retain the fullness of the notes better than the Clone Theory, but I like the more shimmery quality of the EH Clone Theory.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a chorus pedal that retains fullness of the notes and low end, but adds a shimmery gloss?

All I know of as a possibility is the Diamond Halo Chorus.

I need something that is NOT subtle.

2. I'm not big on chorus pedals, so I probably won't have much advice for you, but I have to know what the word 'shimmy' means when describing a sound.

3. Fair enough. When I hear and use the word "Shimmy", (CORRECTION-I meant "SHIMMER") I mean a sort of brightness (not necessarily harsh though) that gleams in a glossy manner with "presence". Think of the sound that a chorus of angels would make, but without the reverb.

This might not help at all, but it is the best that I can do.

4. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  5. Ahhh, shimmery!

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a good chorus pedal that does shimmering sounds at a more affordable price, I would recommend either the digitech hardwire stereo chorus or one of the danelectro chorus pedals.

7. Well Shimmer my timbers! (haha- "shiver").

Shimmer- yes that's the word! (It was a late night when I first wrote initiated this post and must of fall asleep watching someone bellydance ?!)

Anyways, the Maxon and the Analogman are closer in sound than not. I wanted something with more of a shimmery gloss than the Analogman.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Sounds like you want the electro-harmonix stereo poly-chorus pedal. this pedal has some serious lush sounds and many more. either that of the red witch empress chorus pedal.

9. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I got the Hardwire CR-7 to match my Clone Theory (CT Chorus 1 mode, rate at 12o'clock) by setting the Hardwire on the "Vintage" mode and setting depth and rate at around 11o'clock. At that point, I was willing to sell the Clone Theory.

10. i just got a red witch empress chorus and i'm loving it. it's not too noisy (hissy) and it has excellent versatility, anything from slow sweeps to warbling to the point where your original note is barely audible. it has dark and bright modes and also vibrato mode. it can do the shimmery thing that you're talking about, at least i would call it shimmery... cool stuff, cool pedal, all IMO of course.

11. Well I checked the Red Witch out (online, not in person) and does seem to have a nice natural shim to it! However, any amount of hiss really gets on my nerves.

I can deal with this as far as a hi-gain distortion pedal goes, but not a chorus pedal.

12. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    The old Boss DC-2 does that shimmer effect VERY well. As a matter of fact, that's really ALL it does. There are a couple clones of it out there, Fromel and then the Behringer (which actually sounds quite good)

13. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    There's also the Maxon PAC-9 which appears to be a DC-2 variant.

14. DanHB18

DanHB18

May 4, 2010
    Tennessee
    Im a huge chorus fan, and if your saying what I think your saying, I would say either a Danelectro chorus, or the Behringer Super Chorus (buc400). Seriously, Just dont jump on it.

Then again, you may not agree with Behringer. I love Behringer.:p:ninja: End of controversial statement.

15. well, the pedal does get a little hissy at the top end of the voicing control, so if any amount of hiss will turn you off, then you may want to look for something different. still, at least i can't notice it when i'm playing something through it, just when the pedal is on and no other sound. still, if you have the opportunity to check one of these out in person, give it a try, see if you can get anything you like out of it. happy hunting.

16. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    analogman minichorus is dead silent and has a lot of shimmer IMO.

he's using an analogman mini w/deep mod there.

17. Bill Ruppert

Bill Ruppert

Mar 25, 2010
    The Clone Theory is noisy.
    It was designed to have a bit more egde and that was the side effect!
    The Electric Mistress has a very shimmery chorus and is dead quiet as its digital.
    The combo of light flange and chorus gives it that police shimmer.
    I did a demo on it a month or so ago.
    It would sound great on bass.

Bill

18. Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus works well for this.

19. Hello Bill,
    Thank you for the suggestion. I shall check it out!

Oh, and if this is THE Bill Ruppert (and I think it is), I do love your effects alchemy!

20. Have you played it with other instruments yet? Does it lose the low end?

Thanks for the feedback!