Shooting in another school

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by karrot-x, Mar 21, 2005.

1. What an awful waste. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose a family member or friend in what appears to be a completely random murder. There's got to be some way of preventing this from happening so often.
  2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA

Actually, there is a way to stop it... it's just really friggin' difficult...

I grew up in Central Washington. I graduated from Quincy High School in 1996. 30 miles east, there's another town by the name of Moses Lake, WA. 1996 was the same year Barry Lukaidas shot up his 7th grade algebra class in Moses Lake.

Yeah, the coach who tackled him after he shot up his algebra class taught one of my best friends how to wrestle...

Saying "We never saw it coming" is absolute bull****. The signs are there, if you choose to see them.

There is no one thing at fault, unless it's all of society. Peers who tease them and ostracize them on a daily basis. Teachers and administrators who don't give a **** about their job. A media that glorifies random violence. Lack of strong communities.

Above all, is the failure of the parents and guardians to see it coming. That is the biggest thread I see. The parents aren't there to ask "How was your day" and just show their own kids the love those kids need to get passed all the other BS in their lives.

Honestly, I (and I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one on this forum) could have been that kid, had my parents not cared enough to keep me from being destructive.

It does take a whole village to raise a child, but first it takes a family. It takes atleast one adult role model who is willing to love 100% unconditionally.

No one has the easy answers as to how to stop these, but I know it starts at home. It starts with parents taking responsibility for parenting their children, and loving their children. If we can do that, much of the issues in our world will simply dissappear.

Ok I'm done... I kept it short and (hopefully) to the point....
  3. You can spot some of these kids a mile away. I completely agree with what bassman says... except for the media "glorifying random violence". I don't really think the media has that kind of effect unless the person is already mentally ill.
  4. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I'm waiting for this to be blamed on:

A) Video Games
    C) Heavy Metal
    D) Bullies
    F) Violence in the Media
    G) Influence from Columbine

I really hope this kid hated video games and heavy music.
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    He killed both his grandmother and grandfather, I think this is runs a lot deeper than the usual 'suspects'. This kid must have had some serious psychological illness.

My best hopes and wishes to the families and the kids.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Did he get the gun from his G-pa? The article mentioned him being a (retired?) police officer.
  7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    It'll get blamed on Black trench coats, and the fact that he's a "geek". They will ban black trench coats, references to anime, gaming (RPG and Video), heavy metal and industrial music, and pretend that this will make it all go away.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

9. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Dont forget Marilyn Manson guys, it's obvious Manson used his evil powers to make the kids do it...

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    "Stately said the boy used his grandfather's police-issued weapon in the school rampage."

I agree.
  11. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
  12. bassman314, i agree
  13. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    After Columbine, a nurse I worked with said she couldn't understand how anyone could have so much anger as to be able to 'do something like that.' I told her that that was the only part of it I DID understand.

The whole culture of ostracism in schools makes this kind of rampage nearly rational. Being constantly treated as worth markedly less than your peers has an impact. The culture I remember in school, especially Junior High and High School, blatantly tells you that if you are not one of the few perfect popular kids, then you are worthless and any abuse they choose to heap upon you is fair game.

I'm pretty sure that that is not official policy in any school in the nation. So why is it so common?

No one flips out and brings a gun to school after one bad day. They do things like this after being pushed beyond what they can put up with. Killing his grandparents first says this kid had issues other than at school. But schools are a fertile breeding ground for this kind of anger. I remember people in school I wouldn't have minded seeing run over by a bus. If the opportuntity had presented itself, their were two or three I would have been willing to push in front of the bus to get them run over. But It never got so bad that I started memorizing the bus schedules and arranging to get them over by the curb.

I remember Junior High and High School as an extended experiment in trying to teach large segments of the student body self-loathing. And I would have been one of the test subjects. The only people who could possibly have enjoyed the schools I attended were the few 'perfect & popular' kids.
  14. Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005
    I agree. I was on my way to being this kid too. I hated school, and I can honestly say, I think I already had enough hate to do some serious harm to others. My home was my salvation, and I thank God for parents and siblings who were always there. It was them who kept me level headed.
  15. Aqueousillusion

Feb 8, 2005

lol. Of course...
  16. That almost happened at my school a few weeks ago. A freshman brought his dads gun to school because this Junior threatened to do some pretty foul things to him. The kid told one of his friends that he had the gun and she turned him in . It was in my ROTC class and I was his platoon leader . The instructer told me to keep him in the classroom while he went and got the principal and the school police officer. Kinda freaked me out considering this was someone id never expect.

This is a dreadful thing to happen , my condolences go out to the victims and their families.
  17. Congratualtions. Our reality is that this boy had issues that would have been acted upon regardless of what weapon was available.

18. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Unfortunately, these incidents cannot be stopped. Sometimes I question whether we should even bother trying to prevent them. Coming from the point of view of someone who used to have certain "issues," I was offended by the efforts to prevent school shootings. It's a crock of ****; the administration doesn't really care, nor do the students. They won't because they can't.
  19. High schools are becoming breeding grounds for this type of thing. What can we expect from kids who face torment all day and school and don't have a suitable support structure to cope with it? Certainly not all kids who are picked on take this road, but I'm willing to bet many come closer than we're willing to admit. Taking the guns out of their hands is a quick fix...I'd rather concentrate on making them not want to pick it up in the first place.

Unfortunately, the media will pick a scapegoat and the struggles that everyday high-schoolers face will be washed over in a sea of attempted censorship and proposed knee-jerk legislation. It's an insult to the victims, their families, and the poor soul who perpetrated the crime.