1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

shopping for a new 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stringer13, Nov 28, 2006.

1. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    i know everyone loves these threads. I am looking for a different 5 string fretted.

I have currently a fender jazz highway so i don't know if i need another jazz (there is a freakin sweet jazz 5 for sale in the classifieds though).

I have played in the past a peavey cirrus 5, warwick thumb neckthrough 5, warwick corvette jazzman 5. I use SWR sm 900 and SWR 2x10 and 15 cabs. Mostly modern alternative rock and funk, with occasional jazz, but mustly love the "in your face" can't be lost in the mix tones with lots of balls.

Looking for something different, i wouldn't mind another warwick like a neckthrough streamer, i like the modulus flea 5 and other modulus's (i love the graphite necks i have played on them), stingray 5's, G&L 2500 was a freakin awesome bass.

Im open to any suggestions, just nothing over the $1500+- dollar used range.

thanks,
    John

2. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    You should try a Bongo :) .

3. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    +1

tk

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Keep your eyes open, and you can find a Dingwall Afterburner I in that price range. It will destroy the competition, trust me.

5. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    well, i heard rave reviews on dingwalls, i have played on what i think is called a afterburner 4 string, it had the fanned frets and two jazz single coils i think. it was very " warm" to me and just kinda "so so". Maybe it wasn't set up very good. Minus the fanned frets it played a lot like a Cirrus. Don't now, I hate living in Oklahoma because you never get to play the cool toys everyone talks about and the people selling them know what they are selling.

but thanks though, i will put some research into a dingwall

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars

Hmmmm. I dunno. That doesn't sound like any description of an Afterburner I've seen or heard. The AB has 'soapbar' style pickups that are neodymium magnet P-style in disguise.

Sheldon's basses are known for wide frequency response, and I've heard some claim that they had a hard time taming the high end on the AB-1 basses. I appreciate mine for the clarity and punch it has, along with a big bottom end that is precise and defined. I've send you some links to pictures of mine so you can check it out. I don't think it looks like any other bass I've seen.

Dingwalls are also noted for their low action and how it even works for those who are fairly hard hitters. You get even tone and tension down the neck and across the board, so you can play parts in places you might not on other basses.

7. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I love my TBC 5'er. And you can pick one up brand-new off ebay for less than 1/3 of your budget, so why not give it a shot? :D
    ebay seller's store: thebasscompany
    Or through www.thebasscompany.com

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    +1

If you can't find a Dingwall, Music Man (SR5 or Bongo 5) is the way to go for the tone you are describing. If you want something a bit more unusual (other than a Dingwall), I would try to find a Zon. I believe the Zon RT5 is in your range. I think Dingwalls destroy everything though. Happy shopping! :hyper:

9. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I posted before I saw this response...:bag:

In reference to the above, I would have to say that I agree with Burning Skies here. Dingwall's are ANYTHING but polite. I have managed to get mine to be a bit subdued when its called for, but usually it roars. I have played 2 or 3 different Cirrus and they have almost nothing in common with the Afterburners other than the fact that they are both basses. The Cirrus is bland and uninteresting, IMO, whereas the Dingwall lives and breathes. I was on a similar quest to yours not that long ago. I went to Bass Central and tried about 6-8 fivers (Lakland, MTD, Music Man, G&L, etc.). The Dingwall was, by far, superior to the others in every way imaginable. If you find one, I wouldn't be afraid to snag it without playing it. I say this because they are fairly hard to come by so you won't have any problems getting your money back if you decided you didn't like it.

10. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    wow, very impressive response on the dingwall!

what would you guys think of a dingwall after burner vs. a flea bass 5?

havent tried a Zon, they are cool looking though. When you see a guy that plays a Zon or a Dingwall you KNOW he probably knows what he's doing on the bass guitar.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I am obviously biased, but the Dingwall is better all-around the Flea. If you were talking about a Q-series Modulus we might be talking. I won't say the Flea is a one-trick pony, but getting anything than an eardrum piercing bright tone requires some very crafty EQ'ing at the amp. I can't almost get that tone from a Dingwall, but the Dingwall has several tones that you could never get from the Flea 5. I like basses with that brightness in the tone, but I like to be able to dial it out too.

I was just thinking when you played the Dingwall, you might have had the bluEQube switch (the 2 position switch above the p/u selector) in the on position while you were playing it. It cuts the high-mids to produce a smoother tone. I usually switch it on for ballads or more old-school songs and then turn it off on heavier stuff so the bass can bark.

On the Zon, I have never played one but I have heard a few and I think they will be like a J but with way bigger low end. The guy from Faith No More sported a Zon for years (and still might) and his tone is very present even with layers ot guitars, keys and drums on their music. Hope this helps.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really like both of my five strings: a SR5 HH ($1,500) and a used USA Peavey Millennium ($400.) Both basses sound great and are well made. My wife says I sound the same when I play either one. Both are great basses if you don't mind fairly close string spacing.

I would also recommend Lakland Skylines like the 55-02 and DJ-5 if you like wide string spacing and 35" scale. If you like wide spacing and 34" scale, I think that Fender Jazz and Precision Deluxes are great buys. Finally, for a little more than $1,500 new and about half that used, the Peavey Cirrus is a fantastic modern sounding bass if you like that tone.

13. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    all very good advice, thanks guys! i actually used to have a peavey cirrus 5 string, beautiful peacock blue finish on maple. you do not see that color anywhere.

It was a very nice bass but I don't think I would get another one, it did have one of the best B strings ever though.:bassist:

14. YJjeeper95

YJjeeper95

Nov 28, 2006
    Try an Ibanez presige series...Love them

15. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Check out Rarebird. I have a custom 6-string fretless that just slays any way you play it. When I record I go right into the board. I have even played live shows this way.

:bassist:

16. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    The Thumb NT 5 is pretty in your face with balls like melons, and hard to loose in a mix. I fact, it can be overbearing, it's pretty thick in the low midrange. But if you want a change, ... Dunno abouit the rest though.

17. I would look at a Lakland 55-02 or better with either the BassLines or Lakland pickups. Lots of edge there.

18. stringer13

stringer13

Jan 7, 2005
    Oklahoma
    im looking at a sweet music man 5 at the moment and gassing a little.

yeah the thumb was a great bass, and would get another one, just wanting something different.

the laklands look really cool. never head of rarebird but i'll check them out, website?

19. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    The Stingray 5 and Bongo 5 both have very good B strings.

tk

20. +1 and they are very reasonably priced and have excellent quality and support as well! I recently got a new SR4 and I have decided to sell it and go for a SR5 because the neck is so comfortable!

Peace,

T