Short scale 5 string flats??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by never-enough, Nov 25, 2021.

1. never-enough

never-enough

Oct 27, 2019
    Lost Angeles
    Hey all.
    I’m on the lookout for a set of flatwounds that I can put on my mustang (30” scale, strings thru body) and tune BEAD.
    Anyone know of any?
    Ideally 45/65/85/105/125.
    I really like the DR Legends short scale set for standard tuning, but open to any suggestions.
    thanks in advance for any help.

2. Dunlop flats 5-string set, 45-65-85-105-125, is available in "medium scale" with 34" winding length (ball end to silk).

DR Legend "short scale" is 33.75" in winding length, which is longer than most "short scale", so what you need is Dunlop "medium scale" to be long enough for thru-body on a 30" scale.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
    never-enough likes this.
  3. never-enough

never-enough

Oct 27, 2019
    Lost Angeles
    thank you michael!

4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Well, there is DR's own SFL-5-45 (5-string "short-scale" Legend) set:
    DR Legend Flatwound Bass Strings Medium Scale Set 5-String 45-125 SFL5-45
    Since you already know and like Legends, this set would seem like a no-brainer. 33.5" ball-to-silk length is enough for a Mustang.

5. never-enough

never-enough

Oct 27, 2019
    Lost Angeles

Yes I would love those, I just haven’t been able to find them anywhere!
    I wrote to DR to ask about them on Monday so will hopefully hear back soon after everyone comes out of their the food comas!

I see La Bella makes a medium scale set but I would need the TB (thru body) set which I also have not been able to locate.

thank you for pointer, it was helpful to see the proper model name.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  6. As far as I know, the "medium scale" (as in DR's "short scale") 5-string set showing on Fret Nation's website was a special limited time offer. That's why it says "currently unavailable". DR only offers the 4-string set in "short scale" otherwise.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022