short scale acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by baby caseless, Oct 16, 2005.

1. baby caseless

baby caseless

Oct 15, 2005
    Anyone know of any short-scale acoustic basses that aren't too expensive? Fender BG 29 sounds like what I need --musicians friend says they're discontinued, but that's not what the fender sire says.
  2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    define: too expensive???? I think both the BG29 and the BG32 are short scale; the Squier is a 32" scale, Ibanez makes theirs which is a 32" scale as well.......
  3. baby caseless

baby caseless

Oct 15, 2005
    as cheap as possible--but playable--am in oz--where things are expensive--you guys don't know how lucky you are in that regard. I would also like to know if it's worth buying one and having it shipped over--have to ask an aussie I suppose.

Another idea--any short scale basses with bolt on necks that I can cannibalize and put on an acoustic body.

Unless of course, it is possible to buy parts from some kit company--I wouldn't imagine such a thing exists as a short scale neck for a bass that you could buy as a part,but if anyone knows of one... may be cheaper to cannibalize a second-hand one.
  4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Recently played an Alvarez that was pretty small, 32 or 30. Sounded really, really good. Their acoustics are really nice for the price.
  5. baby caseless

baby caseless

Oct 15, 2005
    any idea how much they're worth?
  6. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Musicians friend has the Alvarez, MSB1, for $459, but like everywhere online is out of stock. I saw it Daddy's Junky Music, a chain in the northeast US, can't remember the price but I think it was in the ballpark. Daddy's website announced it as a new product in April 2005. By the way, has your Fender in stock for $480:
  7. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    The Guild is a short scale and it's one of the best ABG's out there. They are inconsistent, so try to play it before you buy.
  8. baby caseless

baby caseless

Oct 15, 2005
    Thank you--thanks for reminding me about individual instrument quality--and here was I thinking that they were all the same--what about the fenders, are they consistent--or should play each one?--impossible if I want to get it shipped.
  9. baby caseless

baby caseless

Oct 15, 2005
    Just wanted to ask about the sound:
    seems to be a mistake on the same day music site. They say that

the bg29 in 'natural' finish has a spruce top and mahogany back and sides

in black it has a maple top and maple back and sides--

would mahogany be a punchier sound than maple/ or not much diff?

any difference between spruce and maple?

PS this must be a mistake--on the fender site they say both black and natural have laminated spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides--i would expect so.--in Australia Maton make solid top guitars--I have a maple--It's bright but I don't think they've got the tone quite as good as Martins--they sound a bit nerdy to me--if you know what I mean, so I never replace strings.

thank you

Spruce (NAT), Maple (BLK)

Back and Sides: Mahogany (NAT), Maple (BLK)
  10. I have an Ozark resonator bass, good value @ 350 GBP, which has a 30" scale length. Loudest bass you'll get acoustically (louder than the £££££ National equivalent). It has a "proper" pickup (not piezo) which means it has a lovely warm electric-bass tone when plugged in. Gets a lot of attention too.
  11. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Good form Joe, as always.

And yeah, you are special. ;)
  12. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Here's one on Ebay right now.

The ones I've played from this era are usually very good. I think it's a 30' inch scale, or at most 32'. I don't know if you would like to spend that much.

Since you are in Australia, you should try to locate a Maton Bindarra, which is also one of the best ABG's that's been on the market. They are unfortunately hard to find and can be expensive, but you never know, you might get lucky.

Both the Guild and the Maton have more character than most of the ones on the market now. One factor to keep in mind is regardless of scale length, you need a large body to get some decent low end. Guild and Maton are not extremely large, but they are bigger than most of the ABG's on the market today, which seem to be made with amplification in mind, rather than acoustic playing.

Of the ones that are readily available today, the Tacoma is among the best.