1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

short scale comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mizzro, Jan 13, 2012.

1. mizzro

mizzro

Jan 13, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    Hello everyone. Im a brand new member, this is my first post. Im a currently playing a squier vintage modified telephone. Im going to be adding a short scale soon. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on a comparison between the squier jaguar and the gretsch junior jet.

2. mizzro

mizzro

Jan 13, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    This android phone over corrects grammar. That's a tele bass not a telephone.

3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I own both the Jaguar short scale and the G2202 Junior Jet.
    Honestly, you cannot go wrong with either. They both play great, sound great and each has its own charm.
    The Jag has a great Pbass thump with the P pickup. The J pickup is a bit weak but still OK for soloing and great at adding color to the P pickup. It's a very versatile bass and worth every penny of the $150 street price.
    The G2202 has more growl and also has a ton of thump. For a single pickup the tone is also very versatile. I probably like the overall sound of the Gretsch a hair more, but truly it depends on the day. Change the strings and I might feel differently. It's about 100 bucks more than the Jag SS but also well worth it. I should emphasize that this is the now discontinued G2202 model, not the newer single pickup G2210. I don't like the new version anywhere near as much as the one I have.
    The Jag feels a bit more modern than the Junior Jet. It feels contoured to your body shape and very comfortable standing or sitting down. The Jet is a little clunkier by comparison, but makes up for it by being a bit prettier.
    One big plus for the Gretsch is it actually fits in a regular guitar case. It took me two months of pawn shop scouring to find a case for the Jaguar SS.

4. I too own both.

I was lucky and got the Gretsch brand new for $180 shipped about 2 years ago.

As Makoman says both have their own sound. The Jag does a good job capturing the P and P/J sound. The Gretsch has a very hot pickup that can sound pretty aggressive with the right settings. Of the two the Gretsch balances better. The Jag I own has a slight neck dive.

FWIW, if I could only keep one, it would be the Gretsch.

5. mizzro

mizzro

Jan 13, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    Thanx for your feedback. In the past I've gotten taken in by "the look" of a bass, so I needed a little extra feedback to help solidify my decision. I've tried both as well, but I am also leaning towards the Gretsch. How bout some feedback on amps and pedals. Ive been doing alot of research on the Acoustic b200, and the Electro-Harmonix big muff. Anyone have any opinions to weigh in?

6. There is no reason to doubt that the Acoustic amp you're considering is fine, but it weighs 75 lbs.. I use one of these Gallien-Krueger MB115 1x15 200W Ultralight Bass Combo Amp: Shop Bass & Other Musical Instruments | Musician's Friend because it weighs 35 lbs.. Mind you, I am a heart diseased old fart (I turn 60 this year), so this may mean more to me than it does to you. Sound and ease of operation probably should be considered in your selection.

I love my Squier SS Jag. I also still own an Epiphone Viola bass, unless the dealer who has it for sale on consignment has sold it and not told me yet. :D I find the Squier much more comfortable. The Viola has horrible neck dive. I really can't compare the sound of these basses because they each had different strings, which would account for the difference in tone. The Viola is for sale because I can not jkustify owning both of these basses when I prefer to play one more than the other.

All the best to you in your search.

7. I gig with the Acoustic B 200H. It's the exact same specs, but as a head.

[​IMG]

I use it with two 8 Ohm cabs - a 2x10 and a 1x15, which equals a 4 Ohm load.

I get a good tone from it. The head version has been a reliable gig and practice amp. I've been using it for about 2 1/2 years with no problems. I even spilled a beer in it once. It's still going strong.

8. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I use the B200, and have for about three years. I blew the tweeter in the first one but GC replaced it for me under warranty.

It's a good solid tone, but the DI out on the back leave a lot to be desired. For some reason, the signal sent from the DI is dependent on the master volume, so in order to get a decent signal out of the DI, you gotta crank the amp. Not always a good thing. I use a direct box with it and it's not an issue.

9. I haven't had this issue with the head version. Plenty of volume through the band PA. Does the amp have the little level knob next DI jack?

10. mizzro

mizzro

Jan 13, 2012
    Fargo, ND
    Anybody have any experience with th Dean EVO short scale?

11. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    I just bought one, and so did Caemen. Amazon was having a blow out just before the holidays. Bought mine for $89. It should have been listed as B stock, but there was no mention of damage. It had a couple scuffs, but nothing through the paint and not enough to make me return it for the $89 price tag. I just made a note to self not to trust Music 123 (the Amazon seller) in future deals.

The neck is great. I love it. Smooth, comfy and fast. The bass is very light. Electronics are well shielded - no buzzes, etc... Tone and volume pots work quite well.

Being a Les Paul, there is a bit of neck dive. If that bothers you, just give some throught to your strap selection.

Quality control: here is an issue. The wood is a bit soft. It's not plywood or particle board, but it is probably Pawlonia. So my input jack is coming lose because the screws stripped out the wood. Nothing that can't be fixed with some wood glue and saw dust (or wider screws), but it is worth mentioning. The stock strings are a little flubby compared to my others, but I have not tried swapping them out yet.

12. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    The Dean was on sale at Amazon a couple of months ago for something like $95. A few members bought it and said it played well after some work.
    For the price I'd take the Squire Jag SS over the Dean every day of the week.

13. AQP

AQP

May 31, 2011
    Also check out the Ibanez Mikro P/J setup, a tad smaller than the Squier and 28.5" scale but really packs a punch with some half rounds on it!