1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

short scale flats high tension

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by meta, Mar 27, 2009.

1. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    I just bought a set of medium scale rotosound flats rs77 for my mustang (thought I could just cut them down a bit if required) and there was absolutely no tension in the strings at all. I was horrified. I thought there must be something wrong with my ear or my tuner, but nope... EADG tuning was completely unmusical (I couldn't actually really tune it eadg), the strings had no tension at all, I had to tune up to F#, B, E, A in order to get any semblance of normal.

Anyways, I got some advice and ordered a set of d'addario short scale chrome flats (from juststrings) but they haven't arrived and I kind of would like a set of flats for tonight... although I could live without I guess until they arrive...

So the question is: Has anybody had any experience cutting down long/medium gauge strings for a mustang? Is that even worthwhile, or is there something intrinsic to the scale of a string besides it's sheer length? Would higher gauge strings be more desirable to provide more tension? And finally, why do most of the short scale sets that I see almost always seem to be light gauge, wouldn't higher gauge be more desirable on a short scale bass? I'm slightly confused, and googleing hasn't really given me any answers on this regard, so I would really appreciate some info from someone who knows more than I on this matter. I'm tempted to get the highest gauge strings I can for the mustang as it is shortscale...

thanks for your help!

2. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    well, if anyone is interested:

buying long scale d'addario chrome flats works just fine. you can cut them down (and you don't have to cut them down very much)

ended up with medium scale. 45 - 105

3. hermano_gusano

hermano_gusano

Mar 31, 2009
    I have a set of short-scale Chromes, 45-105 on a 30" scale bass and I think they feel ggrrreat. The shorter scale makes for less tension with heavier gauges than they would feel on a 34" scale bass, so heavier gauges are indeed the direction you want to go in.

4. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    ya, I'm quite happy with the 45-105s! on the short scale they feel like butter, I almost have to stop myself from noodling. lol of course i would never noodle (unless there is a bass solo part?)

5. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    It's funny - when I saw the subject line, the first thing that popped into my head was "Rotos". :p

I had a set for a short while on a '70 EB-0 that I used to own, but took them off after a week or so. The neck started to do it's best archery bow impression, and I wasn't having any of that!

Chromes were next on the list... still fairly high tension-wise, but the Gibby's neck seemed to like those a whole lot better. Sound-wise, they seemed a bit warmer than the Rotos also.

6. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I have shorty Chromes on my Jerry Jones Longhorn. Feel good and sound great but I actually WISH they were stiffer! AND a little thuddier. Thinking of trying Labellas next. Those are my fave flats on my Fenders . .