1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Short Scale Scratchplates?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basscannon, Jan 6, 2012.

1. basscannon

basscannon

Nov 25, 2011
    I'm thinking about buying a SX Short Scale precision bass listed here v
    SX BG1K BK 34 Black 3/4 Left Handed Short Scale Guitar Package at RondoMusic.com
    Does anyone know a website that sells 3/4 size p-bass style scratchplates? To add to the awkwardness I'm left handed so I'd be surprised if they existed.

Alternatively, does a website that just sells the square uncut plastic exist? I have access to a laser cutter :)
    All feedback appreciated :)
    Thanks

2. basscannon

basscannon

Nov 25, 2011
    bump

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Are you talking about pickguards? Looks like it has one already :eyebrow: .

4. basscannon

basscannon

Nov 25, 2011
    I was looking to get a tortoise one, for a more classy look :)

5. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Google "custom pickguards" and be amazed by the dozen or more places that cut custom guards. Typical cost is between $50 and $120, depending on the size of the guard and whether they have a template or an existing guard to copy. Many of those places also sell plain sheets of the material. Sheets cost between $20 and $60 depending on the material.

Just so's you know, the stock P-bass guards pre-made will not be a good fit on the SX.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You are either going to have to go with a custom builder or build it yourself. Buy the bass and use the pg for something to trace. I made one myself with a hacksaw and a file. Took forever with mediocre results. Same bass.

Let's see if I can find a pic...

sx3.

8. Bronquites035.

I bought a sheet of pickguard material it was a bit browner than expected, a pro did all the cutting and shielding. I`m pretty happy with the results.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Atk35a.

I made mine in under an hour, using a dremel and sandpaper.