1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Jan 24, 2019.

1. timryan257

timryan257

Aug 20, 2014
    yes I did, and the answer is "I'm not sure yet". I tended to use what I believe is the parallel setting most of the night. I'm not entirely sure, but I think that what I would call the 3rd selection on the knob [all the way clockwise when looking down at it from playing position] is "series" which I found to be a little too big for me, but I'm also one who usually eq's out freqs around 80 to 200 hz in most venues, so that might just be me. Similarly, I didn't have much use for the passive bass boost on the volume knob, but I do really like the way they implemented that as a push/push instead of pull/push knob.

Iofflight likes this.
  2. timryan257

timryan257

Aug 20, 2014
    sorry, have never played a Stingray Special. I do have a SUB Ray4, and I would say that the short scale does sound a bit different, maybe a little less "piano-like" in its tone, but still sounds very good and really sits well in the band mix. And for me, the short scale makes it a clear winner. For almost 10x the cost of the SUB, it should be !

reynplaysbass likes this.
  3. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Okay I've been playing it tonight too and have had the same reaction. I think with the knob turned clockwise in the position that is closest to the player (if the positions are 11, 12, and 1 o'clock, with the player looking down towards the 12 position, if that makes sense) That is the boomiest sound and almost too much. I seem to prefer the middle selection the best and with the volume knob in the down/pushed in position. I haven't played with a band, just through my cabs and my audio interface, so my information is limited in that way.

I'm not crazy about these slinkys on this bass, I prefer them on the special if at all (but still am thinking of swapping them out). I'm not sure what might match better but I'm going to start trying out different strings.

Anyway it's a banging bass, my other two short scales are a birdsong pbass with dimarzio's which are hot, and the JMJ mustang, a short scale with this MM pickup is just really huge sounding.

Look at how cute and unimposing it looks next to the JMJ mustang. It really doesn't give away how it's going to slap you upside the head with how big it sounds.

BC7BE65E-7ECE-46E7-80AC-8A5B176FE29B.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    remcult, GregC, reynplaysbass and 2 others like this.
  4. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    I'll have to get back to you with a more informed opinion on that after more playing time. Both have the same set of strings but the Short Scale's are totally new and very zingy compared to the Special which I bought new/used (it was only 5 months old but still had the original strings). So that right throws things off quite a bit imo.

These are very initial first impressions and I did not play them back to back tonight though I will later in the week. The Short Scale sounds bigger to me and a bit harder to tame, the Special more focused and a bit smoother/more even at different settings. I have the H version so there is less selection than an HH or the 3 way switching of the Short Scale however I feel it has a sweeter more pleasing tone to me (that is highly subjective I know), the EQ on the Special is just great.

Admittedly, I have a bias towards the Special and wouldn't hesitate to take it over the short scale if I had to choose. When I first played the Special I was just trying it out for fun, I didn't expect that I wouldn't be able to get it out of my head after I walked out of the store. Within a month I had to buy it because I couldn't stop thinking about it. I don't know that if I had picked up the Short Scale if I would have had that same response. I think I would have thought what I do think which is it's insanely cool and I'm glad I have it. That MM pickup in a small scale is no joke, it punches way above its weight.

As I said, I'm sure I'll have more to say on the matter once I've had more time with it.

reynplaysbass likes this.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Congrats to everyone getting one of these. They look awesome :)!!!

Some questions...

Do they have the signature Stingray burpy, rubbery tone that is difficult (if not impossible) to find in any other bass?

How heavy are they?

How versatile are they? Seems clear that there's lots of oomph, and that it can be easily added and taken away, but what about the character of the tone?

And maybe most importantly - HOW COME NOBODY HAS POSTED ANY VIDS OR SOUND CLIPS YET!!!????

reynplaysbass, HD007 and canuckshort like this.
  6. Appreciate the feedback! Glad it’s a fun bass to have in your arsenal!

7. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    I find it so crazy that there are ZERO video's or even audio samples of this bass. Stop the madness!!!

HD007, Iofflight and Green Knight like this.
  8. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    Yeah I found that odd tbh. The lack of demos didn’t stop me from buying one obviously. I just got mine monday evening and have only had one session on it. I haven’t had time to film anything much less record anything. And I really want to get those strings off it before I record anything. I’m thinking of trying out TI flats or short scale boomers, I haven’t made up my mind.

9. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    La Bella flats might be nice too. I have them on a short scale and really like them

Iofflight likes this.
  10. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    If only they did a 5 string HH short scale ray

Iofflight likes this.
  11. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    Okay I just spent an hour going back and forth with the String Ray special and short scale.

I stand by my earlier assessment. It's easier to get what I want out of the Special. It's smoother with a greater midrange burpy sound that one of the posters mentioned above. I'm having a harder time getting what I want tonally out of the short scale and I'm convinced it's because I'm just not feeling these strings. At least I hope that is what is going on.

I know it's happened with other basses where I've had to go through a few sets to find what works for that bass.

I'm not sure if I should swap out these slinkys for a La Bella, TI, or GHS brite flats or if I should do a different short scale round wound like GHS boomers or Pressure wounds? I'm at a loss about what to choose.

I'm looking forward to hearing what others end up doing.

12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Try the EB Cobalt Flats. They're not as thuddy as your typical flat. Not as zingy as your typical round. They work well with the Stingray pickup position.
    I've decided to wait on the SS Ray until it goes into full production. I'll wait to see what color pallet they bring to it, and please, oh please, a roasted neck!

Iofflight and HD007 like this.
  13. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    I'll give those a try too thanks! I'm willing to go rounds or flats with this one. I've got two short scales with la bella and TI flats so it's nice to have a different sound. But I care more that the strings bring out the best in the bass. I've got some GHS pro steels to try and TI flats as well (I feel both tend to bring out the mids more), if neither work I'll give the cobalts a go.

14. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I didnt see the blue option on MF today when I reserved a red one. Looks like they're going fast.

15. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    This! TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  16. Graham Gould

Graham Gould

Jul 27, 2019
    UK
    So... I’ve now tried out the bass in full band practice & gig. Way more output than my MIJ Mustang (was my main bass) and tonal options cover all the genres I play (covers party band) from classic rock, indie, country, ska - all the bases are covered. Weight (or lack of) is great for 2+ hour gigs, about 1/2 my Mustang. I has a full size Sterling years ago, but changed to short scale due to hand cramps late in gigs. I loved the feel of that neck and the short scale has all the ‘feel’ of my old Sterling. Not seeing any neck dive at all! For the money, I really feel that I have a top quality instrument, top job all at Ernie Ball!
    For info, I’ve been playing bass 40+ years at amateur level. This is the best bass I’ve ever owned / played (mainly a Fender man up til now!).
    Quick question, what are the strings that come on the bass please?

Nebula24 and grrg63 like this.
  17. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    They are the Super Slinky Bass, .045-.100. They come in a pink package. I actually just pulled mine off because I don't like them at all. It made me reconsider them on the Special as well so I just put Cobalt Hybrid 45-105s on the SR Special. I just put TI flats on the SR short scale and I thought it was a real improvement over the Slinkys bringing out the midrange of the instrument a bit more. I'm still planning on trying the GHS pro steels as well.

Graham Gould and HD007 like this.
  18. remcult

remcult Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2012
    New Jersey
    just played one of these today at Guitar Center, was pretty comfy (loved the finish on the neck) and sounded great

19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    So.... well... uh...

Yeah.

My wife asked me to drive her to UPS tonight because she missed a package delivery.

I did.

She sent me in. I almost keeled over when they handed me the package :).

She gave me an early xmas B'day gift :hyper::bassist::woot::smug::roflmao::thumbsup::D:laugh::hyper:...

I kinda had my suspicions for a few reasons that this was coming, but I didn't want to jump the gun.

I've only played it in the house thus far, but I'm head over heels in infatuation. I never made one of these videos before, because I hate making these kinds of videos, but the bass needs it. I'm putting it out there. Tomorrow perhaps I'll try my hand at making a vid that's not such a tease. I know yer all dying to hear one of these...

So here it is!

PS. I'm going to 2X post this in the other Stingray thread.

20. HD007

HD007 Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2018
    That’s awesome- thanks for the vid! Sounds great

Joe Nerve likes this.