1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Jan 24, 2019.

1. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Great move. :thumbsup:

Pleased to learn this, even if it surprises me.

Definitely a pleasant surprise though.

Nice with more serious and acclaimed instrument manufactures that take short scale basses serious.

2. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    Good news! Please keep the blue available.

Iofflight likes this.
  3. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Yeah I wonder what other options for colors if any will be available.

4. AwesomeArnold

AwesomeArnold

Sep 4, 2019
    So I got it today. Sounds amazing! It sounds even „bigger“ then the stingray special. I love it :) Great work.

Attached Files:

Plake, HD007, BrentSimons and 2 others like this.
  5. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    I’m late to the party on this announcement. 1) that thing looks cool. Very cool. 2) as a fan of EBMM, I’m glad to see them providing more tools for my bass playing brothers and sisters. This is awesome!

They certainly provide for guitar niches, so it’s great to see. Even if I’ve never had the need for a short scale, I know there’s a very dedicated group of short scale players, especially here, who are vocal about their desires. I hope this gives them a quality option.

6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Make them with roasted necks and I will be powerless to resist!

7. skeeler

skeeler I am a stick.

May 30, 2015
    @Scott Ball

I should mention that I'm really happy to see that you've made your short-scale bass with the bridge in the same position (close to the end of the body) as on the long-scale model. So many short-scale basses position the bridge 50 mm (or more) farther from the end of the body, so the reach to the first fret is almost as great as on a long-scale. Keeping the bridge at the end of the body takes full advantage of the shorter scale length in reducing reach.

8. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Start making them now please, my head might explode from the GAS!

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. BassAssHat

BassAssHat

Jun 14, 2019
    Brooklyn, NY
    Did this come with a hard case? And if so, was it a smaller hard case?

AwesomeArnold likes this.
  10. AwesomeArnold

AwesomeArnold

Sep 4, 2019
    Yes it comes with a hardcase. It‘s smaller and especially done for the bass. Just how it should be

steelbed45 and BassAssHat like this.
  11. AwesomeArnold

AwesomeArnold

Sep 4, 2019
    D81A1AAB-B2AF-4130-8586-9F90BD7BF7F2. 09D71C00-A686-41B9-98E1-53FC9827C569.

WallaceSnr, HD007, Plake and 3 others like this.
  12. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    FF474853-5C1F-406B-BD9E-6A9995C5F12B. Just picked it up at lunch and plugged it in. Immediate first impressions are that it isn’t as immediate as the SR special to me. I’m not sure yet about all the switching and what it does. Also the Strings that it came with are pretty new and very clangorous for lack of a better word. The same strings are on the SR special and I like them pretty well but they were 4-5 months old by the time I got the bass. So I think they really need to age a bit for me.

It feels great however and hope to get more time on it later in the week.

GregC, Plake, Akami and 3 others like this.
  13. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I had to cancel my blue preorder because the new contract that would have yielded a huge salary bump for me fell through, but I'm still stoked to see these in the wild and love that blue and maple color combo!

14. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Am I the only one who does not understand why they did not use a roasted maple neck on the Shortie ?

Akami, HD007 and BassAssHat like this.
  15. When I first saw this, I was dumbfounded. After pining for a short scale Sterling for years, this was just as sweet. Sadly, it's way out of my league, finance-wise.

16. Just got the email offering the order from Ernie Ball Music Man to the public for those who didn’t pre-order months back!

The EBMM website gives more details.

grrg63 and Iofflight like this.
  17. BassAssHat

BassAssHat

Jun 14, 2019
    Brooklyn, NY
    How's the neck dive on this little guy?

18. timryan257

timryan257

Aug 20, 2014
    got mine a few days ago [red], played it at a wedding gig over the weekend. Love it. Really plays well and cuts through the band mix. Still playing with the controls, but initial impression is that this is a great short scale. And very little neck dive using a cheapo nylon strap.

GregC, Scott Ball, grrg63 and 2 others like this.
  19. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    Did you mess around with the boost, parallel, series, and single coil settings much? If so did you find a sound you liked best?

20. How does it compare to the Stingray Special? Not sure if you could compare the two, tone wise?

Glad it sounds awesome! I’m seriously considering buying one.