1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Mine is 7.59 pounds. The lightest bass I own by about a half pound.

Not sure what you are asking, but the tone of this bass is the most focused I have regardless of scale length. It's definitely a Stingray-ish sound. Unmistakable there. But, it is more cutting in the lower mids, less scooped, less boomy, and less extreme-high-end-y. It sits in the band mix, at least to my ears, with sort of a narrower focus on the "money frequencies" for bass. You will be heard with this bass without having to crank it and get a deluge of rumbling mud like you do with some basses when you can't hear yourself and try to make up for it by increasing the volume. You won't need to crank this bass way up to be heard. It's kind of hard to describe... just a "tighter" sound I guess. And this is regardless of the tone setting--all settings sound good regardless of tone and coil switch settings. I can't get a bad tone out of this bass from the bass itself. The only way to get a bad tone is by goofing your amp settings up or... having a lousy soundman.

Akami, roccobass, Iofflight and 5 others like this.
  2. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Mine arrived yesterday, and weighs in at just under 6.5 lbs. Sweet. I've only had a few minutes with it. But enough time to know it needs a thorough setup, starting with the height of the nut.

Akami, roccobass and Joe Nerve like this.
  3. Anyone in the EU received a Raspberry Pearl yet?

4. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I just picked mine up now, first thing in the morning, from the shipping office, and it needed nothing but tuning up, having been set up already as a display unit. You can really fly on this thing! It kind of sucks that I have to go to work now.

Akami and Joe Nerve like this.
  5. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Hey everyone I just wanted to report an update to my string dilemma. Just so the rest of you don't have to go through the many pages of this thread essentially I just didn't like the way the stock strings sounded on this bass. Ironically they seemed perfect on the Stingray Special. It's the same set of strings but one bass is long scale, one is short, one is active, and one is passive and they just didn't hit me right.

Anyway I put some Cobalt Slinkys on it which were worse imo, and then TI flats which were an improvement. But as some of you have noted, I think this bass benefits more from rounds. I just put some Curt Mangan rounds on there and I think we have a winner. It makes sense since he worked for Ernie Ball for quite some time.

Anyway if you aren't totally enthralled with the stock strings give these a try.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Akami, MojoPenguin and BassAssHat like this.
  6. roccobass

roccobass Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern California
    Nice. I know the long scale versions just were too weighty for me. Any change in tone as opposed to Big Brother?

7. roccobass

roccobass Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern California

8. Green Knight

Oct 18, 2016
    Don't suppose anyone wants to give me a cheat sheet on these controls ... technical terminology makes my head hurt!

BassAssHat likes this.
  9. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Here in Italy we're waiting for it

10. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Mine had a diagram in the bag with the tools and other stuff that came in the case so you probably got one too.

When the middle 3 notch knob is towards the back of the bass (Position 1 on the diagram), it is in Parallel mode, which from what I think the guys with more StingRay experience than me say, is the classic SR sound.
    The middle notch (P2) is Single Coil mode, maybe a more Fenderish sound?
    The front notch (P3) is Series mode, a very fat bass boosted sound.
    And of course the volume knob can be pushed down a little to release it upwards for a volume boost no matter which position the middle knob is in.

11. Green Knight

Oct 18, 2016
    Oh man, I'm soooo embarrassed I didn't think to root among the case candy for instructions.
    I did NOT know about the boost feature.
    Thanks so much!!

grrg63 likes this.
  12. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    They're really not much instruction-wise, just a diagram.

Green Knight likes this.
  13. BassAssHat

BassAssHat

Jun 14, 2019
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think Talkbass members (like Joe Nerve) explained it like I wish the diagram did. Thanks all!

Joe Nerve, Green Knight and grrg63 like this.
  14. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I've spent some time with mine now. Before I get into my nit picking, I do really really like the bass.
    I do not like the stock strings at all. They're very 'zingy' to my ears - more 'zing' than 'growl'.
    But that's OK. I can't think of a new bass where I was particularly enamored with it's stock strings. So that's a nit pick, and not a knock on the bass.
    SmAsh listed this as one of the their "Guitars of Distinction" - whatever that means. They also listed it as BFR (Ball Family Reserve) There is no indication that this is true anywhere in the case candy, or even SmAsh's 'certificate of inspection'. That's not a knock at Ernie Ball. And that had no influence on my purchase. I bought it for it published weight, which was accurate. The price was the standard price you could find anywhere for this bass. So, I'm not saying I got ripped off. But still, bogus advertising never warms my icy heart.
    BUT. The setup at the nut was ATROCIOUS! It might have been acceptable on a $179 'student model cheapo' bass. It would not be acceptable on a MIM Fender, let alone a $2,000 instrument. To be fair, I almost always find nuts to be cut too high, with the exception of Sadowskys. I have indexed files to cut nuts deeper, so I could deal with it. But WOW!!! This nut was nuts!!! There was almost a full 1/8 of an inch string travel to fret at the first fret. This is a knock at EB. It is inexcusable by any measure, let alone at this price point.
    SmAsh's certificate listed neck relief and intonation as checked. This must have been done by the kid who's main job is to wrangle shopping carts from the parking lot.
    Some have had great out of the box experience, and good for them. I have built and set up more basses than I can count, so there wasn't anything I could not work with. But if you cannot file a nut and set up a bass, and got one like this, you are in for a return, or additional expense.
    So fair warning. But after working through the nut, neck relief and intonation, I love it!

15. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    I actually like the stock strings on my SS Stingray. They are much less floppy than many of the short scale basses I get (with whatever stock strings). And they sound okay to my ears. Before I got the bass, I'd planned on replacing the strings with D'Addario 110 - 55 stainless steel strings like I have on a couple of my other short scale basses... but no need. I'll probbly just get another set of the same. They seem to work fine for the sound and feel I want with this bass. I generally go with at least 45 - 105 and that is what the stock EB strings are, so... it's all good. The only stock strings I've ever been happy with other than these are the strings that came on a short scale Warwick I had several years back. They were the only ones (besides these) that haven't been overly floppy. The stock PJ Mustang strings are decent too, although they are not short scale strings (just long scales cut down) and they do make your fingers black at first. :laugh:

16. Green Knight

Oct 18, 2016
    I like more snap to my strings so ordered some D'Addario short scale ultra lights. Because mine was a floor model at a reputable guitar store, it arrived very well set up ... and a couple of hundred dollars cheaper. I'm loving the first and third settings but find the second a little thin. Haven't jammed with it yet but am anticipating trying out the boost function then. Thanks to everybody in this thread who has explained the controls.

17. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    I had the same response. it was zingy and boomy with no proper mids. I’d love to hear what you end up finding works for you on this bass.
    I’m not a fan of stock strings either however the slinky’s sound really good on the Stingray Special and oddly I’ve really liked the Fender player P with the fender nickel rounds.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    PJams likes this.
  18. BassAssHat

BassAssHat

Jun 14, 2019
    Brooklyn, NY
    Got my short scale stingray back from the shop. Now that the setup is perfect and the pickup selector knob is fixed I'm in love. Such a great playing and lightweight instrument. Still on the fence about the strings but I think I'll see how they age.

PJams, WallaceSnr and HD007 like this.
  19. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    But to try a short scale a Stingray is expensive do you know if Sub will make a short scale?

20. PJams

PJams

Mar 13, 2017
    Scottsdale
    Any opinions on trying to use Thomastik-Infeld Round Wound 32” Jazz Bass strings on the SS Stingray? Do you think the stated lower tension on the Thomastiks would be OK?