1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short scale Stingray!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIGEJ2, Jan 24, 2019.

1. PJams

PJams

Mar 13, 2017
    Scottsdale
    18154DEA-FF18-4D1D-BD16-13AF3A950EC8. I had to chime in on this too. The previous posters have done well to describe this instrument. I feel the same enthusiasm. I am personally blown away with my EBMM Stingray SS. Low weight, perfect size/ergonomics, first rate finish , 22 frets and the finest passive electronics that I have had the pleasure to play. The electronics are super high quality (overbuilt), powerful, incredibly easy to adjust and every frequency range sounds killer...the electronics blow away the active Stingray that I used to own and every other bass that I’ve owned for that matter. Ernie Ball has made something here that has never been created before. I finally have a short scale with no compromises. Fat, classic tone out of an instrument that physically fits.

Craig22221, Akami, HD007 and 4 others like this.
  2. PJams

PJams

Mar 13, 2017
    Scottsdale
    Oh, also... I had the bass set up professionally about a week after I got it which was absolutely essential… It made a night and day difference…plays phenomenally. I’m definitely interested to hear what other peoples’ experiences are with trying out different strings.

BassAssHat likes this.
  3. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    i get mine on Thursday! It was a display unit, so I'm thinking the set-up will be on point, vicissitudes of transit notwithstanding. You guys got me psyched.

4. Christcr

Christcr Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    Yes, it does say Stingray on the headstock and Sterlings say Sterling. But what I meant was that it's features have more in common with a Sterling than a Stingray. There hasn't been a production Stingray (4) with coil tapping to my knowledge. The body is WAY smaller than a Stingray (although the shape is still Stingray-ish) and lighter (like a Sterling only lighter still). The neck is definitely closer to a Sterling in feel than it is a Stingray (even the SLO special). I do understand your point, but this thing, although Stingray in spirit and headstock decal, is not at all a typical Stingray. And no, of course, it is not a Sterling either. I call it manna... :thumbsup:

It just occurred to me that it is a great time to be a short scale bass player. With this short scale Stingray, I've gotten the best sounding Music Man instrument I've ever had, regardless of scale length--in a short scale! In fact, the best sounding short scale, period. I've gotten the best sounding Fender Mustang ever in the American Performer Mustang. And I've gotten the best sounding Spector bass, regardless of scale, in the Spector Bantam. There are more REAL, quality basses that happen to be short scales and sound good than ever before. No more second-rate toys, cheapies, or basses that are somehow compromised in sound or playability here. Manufacturers have finally gotten serious about developing quality short scale basses. I think we have the success of the Fender Mustang PJ to thank for this, which in itself is a great little bass for the money.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  5. BassAssHat

BassAssHat

Jun 14, 2019
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just dropped off my SS Stingray to get set up properly and will get it back next week because it requires a lot of work. I know Ernie Ball (or maybe TB users of EB) always brag about having such great setups out of the box but both my Sterling H and this SS Stingray (both 2019 editions) needed some major setup work from the factory - much more than my American Pro Precision. My Reverend Wattplower actually required the least setup. I'm looking forward to seeing how much nicer the SS Stingray is after a proper setup. When I first got it, I tried changing the pickup configurations and the knob to switch between 3 settings immediately broke off on my first go, so I haven't even heard the different positions yet. The guys at the bass shop told me that my brand new Sterling required all sorts of fret leveling that my other basses didn't require as well. A bummer for both $2K+ instruments when my Wattplower was much less in cost. But that being said, mine is under 7 lbs and doesn't neck dive. It's worth it to me to see it through and see what all the fuss is about.

Akami and HD007 like this.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I've owned well over 100 basses from $99 to $6000, and never had one that didn't need a set up when I got it. "Needing a setup" has more to do with people's preferences than anything else. Many basses I've owned I'm sure were perfectly set up, right out of the case, for someone other than myself :). A lot has to do with where a bass is shipped from, also. Climate changes do have an effect on the frets, setup, etc.

All my Stingray needed for me to love it was a drop on some of the saddles. I didn't even need to touch the neck, which I'm realizing is a lot more stable than on other basses I own. The venue I played yesterday felt like it was air conditioned to 40 degrees... and I didn't have to re-tune my bass. It was still in tune from the previous gig, and that didn't change, despite the freezing cold venue. That's an odd experience...

@BassAssHat , who are you going to for setups? I know I'm making a big assumption here, but if you feel the need to go to a professional to have your bass set up, I think there's also a possibility your tech is taking you for a little bit of a ride. I've seen that happen. Some techs like to fix things that don't need fixing, simply because they have a prejudice toward certain manufacturers (and a love for others). Or because they find something ridiculously simple they can do that help them to pocket an extra $50. I'm not saying MM is incapable of anything less than perfection, but in my experience they have MUCH better quality control than Fender, as well as many other bass manufacturers.

RE the Stingray/Sterling thing, I'd agree that this has more in common with a Sterling than a Stingray, but it also has a lot more oomph than my Sterling did.

grrg63 likes this.
  7. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Man, if the knob broke off, I would return that bass immediately. It's a $2K bass.

PJams and WallaceSnr like this.
  8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Actually, I would too.

PJams likes this.
  9. BassAssHat

BassAssHat

Jun 14, 2019
    Brooklyn, NY
    That was also my first gut feeling but I want to give it a proper shot since it's UNDER 7 lbs. That alone makes me want to make it work.

PJams, HD007 and Joe Nerve like this.
  10. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    If it is the knob that slipped off the shaft, that it annoying and shouldn't happen on a new instrument (I've had it happen before), but an easy fix. On the other hand, if the shaft actually broke off... that is kind of a big deal because the pot is likely integrated into a circuit board in the control cavity. If that's the case, I hope it's not something that you'll have to send it back to Ernie Ball to fix. That kind of thing generally takes awhile and is REALLY annoying.

11. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    I think they all are....

12. hooky_marr

hooky_marr Supporting Member

Oh, absolutely. I like the Sterling design better aesthetically. A mini-Sterling could be like an upscale take on a short-scale like the Cort Action Bass Jr - downscaled offset body, slim neck, smaller headstock. And that Spector Bantam looks amazing for the money.

It is a great time for shorter scales. Ibanez has new 'Mezzo' 32" medium scale instruments, though they are rather cheapish at $299 - I wish they'd reintroduce the Bean Bass with updated construction and long and medium scale options tbh - that was their take on the Spector formula. I've been scouring Japanese auction sites for older medium-scale Motion B basses too...

13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Me too, hence, my posts saying I'd like to see a short scale Sterling.

Lots of 32" medium scale basses in Japan and I've had quite a few of them, including three beveled edge Jazz Bass Specials, the last one of which is in my avatar, and a Yamaha which I still have. I was on a medium scale buying binge when my girlfriend was my bass player, but am down to the last two that she used to play on stage.

14. Christcr

Feb 8, 2015
    Utah
    It is an awesome bass. Before I actually got it, I'd planned on changing the pickups because I'm not huge on EMG actives, especially the DC pickups. So I'd planned on either swapping to the EMG PJ version of soapbars or the Nortstrand Big Single replacement for 35DC. But there is no need. The DC pickups seem to work pretty well for this bass and it sounds great. And that Spector body shape works great on a short scale.

I used my SS Stingray this morning at an open jam gathering. Everybody loved it. Talking about a clear voice in the mix! It even cut through a wall of acoustic guitars, and if you've ever been to a jam with a bunch of strumming acoustic guitars, you know how boomy and muddy that can get. Some of my other basses just get lost in that mushy acoustic soup--not the SS Stingray.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    HD007, Akami and BassAssHat like this.
  15. roccobass

roccobass Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern California
    Ok....so I don't have keep scrolling. Does know how much it weighs?

16. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Around 7 lbs is the best we've got :) .

None of us have scales I guess...

Noticeably lighter than my MIA and MIM Mustangs.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 12:18 AM
    roccobass likes this.
  17. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 12:17 AM
  18. BassAssHat

BassAssHat

Jun 14, 2019
    Brooklyn, NY
    Mine is 6.6 lbs. It's why I picked it. Lightest one I found.

roccobass and HD007 like this.
  19. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I think I got the only one in Canada. It's on the truck right now, but Murphy's Law is that Purolator only comes when I'm at work.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 10:53 AM
    Joe Nerve and canuckshort like this.
  20. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Short scale tonal increasing or not respect long scale? This is interesting for light weight.