1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short Scale: thick halfrounds...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Toptube, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I just picked up an SX short scale P-bass. I want to put some halfrounds on it, but the only short scale specific halfrounds I can find come in .100 which will not have enough tension for me. I like some flop, but on a shortscale, a gauge like that is too floppy. It also seems like the tuners have less room on them than a "standard" scale bass, so I can't really fit normal strings on them, it seems the excess "thin" section at the ends of strings are needed.

So that brings me to 2 questions:

1. Does anyone know of some Halfrounds for shortscale that are atleast .105 if not bigger?

2. can I put normal sized tuners on this thing to allow room to wind the thick sections of normal strings?

2. Go to www.bpstrings.com. Then go to bass guitar. Scroll down to GHS and take a gander through their strings. Every string they make has a short scale version. Be sure to check out the Brite Flats (their version of half rounds) # 3070 shortscale strings. It has like a .108 or E so string.
    Beware: I do not think my bridge is drilled out for anything larger than .100. You may have to make that modification.
    As for the new tuners, if you use a dedicated short scale set you probably won't need to change, unless you just want better tuners.
    I have the fretless short scale Jazz myself. I was really surprised to see how good they really are.

FG

3. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Eww GHS, heheh.

Oh well, I'll have a look! I put a 105 roundwound through the hole the other night, so that's no problem. I just couldn't wind it because the posts for the tuners don't have much room.

4. kjbrowne

kjbrowne

Jun 14, 2005
    Florida
    I just put daddario xl chromes on my sx short scale and the 100 would not fit. Its the silk not the string.