1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

shortening strings for Eminence electric upright?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by moresteve, Aug 14, 2017.

1. moresteve

moresteve

Feb 4, 2008
    Do you really have to shorten the strings

2. No.

3. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    No.

4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Torrance, CA
    Shortening the strings may prevent you from over tenshoning and breaking your gears. Gary recommends it... and, c'mon, he knows what he's talking about. Duh.

5. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    There are certainly advantages to cutting if you know the strings can be cut and not lose their integrity. I'm sure you can cut the Helicores Gary puts on the Eminence, but besides buying 1/2 size strings, you better be careful cutting strings. That being said, I don't thing the string length has much to do with breaking the tuners? There is the same amount on tension on a tuned string other than binding on the tuner/pegbox, right?

6. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Torrance, CA
    No, Gary told me over the phone that the extra length binds against the pegbox and tends to blow out the tuners and I expect that he knows what he's talking about. How much trouble is it to slice off a few inches, really? Penny wise, pound foolish.

Ric Vice and longfinger like this.
  7. dylanjohnson

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Steel strings are probably fine to cut but it can mess up some of the hybrid/synthetic core strings, from what I've heard. I bypass the hole in the tuner and go straight across, then bind the string in with the windings, giving me a few inches of loose string out the other side. It works without having tons of winds on the peg and the string stays in tune.

I'm not surprised that the tuners on the Eminence would blow out if you bind the strings up against the pegbox. The strings get ruined, too.

Michael Eisenman likes this.
  8. Just let the string stick out of the peg hole a few inches to reduce the number of windings as described before. Doesn't look very nice but works.

If you want to cut the string only do this in the silk wound part and before cutting put a drop of (general purpose) glue on the ilk below/at the cutting point, let it dry and cut then. This avoids unraveling of the silk and the windings.
    That should work with any kind of string that has silk wound ends, but maybe except on strings with a synthetic outer winding.

Ric Vice and salcott like this.
  9. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    "That should work with any kind of string that has silk wound ends, but maybe except on strings with a synthetic outer winding."

An inch or so of heat shrink tubing should solve the problem.

DoubleMIDI likes this.
  10. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    In my experience, most strings can be cut without any problems provided your carefull. The Clevenger Keyhole Bass I own has a small pegbox with Schaller BG Gears. I've had Heliocore Hybrids, Spirocore Weich, Corelli, Zylex, and Evah Parazzi Weichs
    and Zyex light gage strings on this bass.

Ric

11. moresteve

moresteve

Feb 4, 2008
    Thank you all for your advice. Appreciated.