1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should I at least give it a shot?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MUSHROOMSeAcOw, Aug 2, 2012.

1. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    So, I got an offer yesterday from a band on CL looking for a bass player. They said in the ad they were a reggae band, which isn't something we get often around here. So I emailed them, visions of grooving to some Marley or Tosh roots reggae tunes (which I love, and am pretty comfortable playing). For some background, I'm a 17yo white guy that's been playing about 4 years.

I guess I should have suspected when they said a young white guy was cool that this was not the gig I was envisioning. Anyway, turns out their definition of old-school reggae is Sublime and Pepper :scowl: Which I definitely enjoy, but it's not anything I'm really too keen on playing long-term. I'm no Eric Wilson.

But, this is pretty much the only gig around here for a young guy like me that isn't "hardcore" stuff and according to them they have weekend touring opportunities in Georgia, Florida, and Alabama.

Would you audition for a style you aren't quite comfortable with if it was your only opportunity to get some shows in at at the moment? Should I go ahead and give it a shot or keep waiting for something to pop up?

2. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    Go for it. You'll gain something by stepping slightly outside of your comfort zone, and you can always keep looking for your ideal project in the meantime. Plus, it's an opportunity to network with other musicians.

3. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Chance are, IF they do Sublime and Pepper, they are down for some roots reggae as well. It's all bass line anyway, so as a member of the band, you could just bring some Marley/Tosh jams to the practice room and see what happens.

If it's all quick ska stuff, then you can make up your mind...but maybe they are looking for a player to bring more reggae to their sound. Maybe it was their old bassist (if they had one) or guitarist (who probably doesn't know how to play reggae bass) who pushed the more punk/ska stuff because they could play it.

Being white isn't a bad thing for a reggae bass player.

4. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    I was in a similar situation, except folk (with a 90's rock twist) instead of reggae. I ended up falling in love with it and had a blast for the 2 years I was in the band. If you're willing and able then why not give it a shot?

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Yeah man and have fun with it. You may learn some things as well and make new friends or musical connections in the process. Not to mention getting real time experience playing with a band. Let them know your interests as well at the rehearsal about maybe wanting to do some old school reggae as well and see if they are open to the idea.

6. Do it. You've only been playing 4 years and you are bound to learn something. Most importantly, you will be playing with others which is a course of learning in itself at your stage.

7. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    Feel them out and see if they'd be down to play some of the songs that you like also. Either way I would say go for it, but it would be nice to know going in if they are willing to work with you on song selection at all instead of committing and leaving it to chance that you guys will ever play anything that you really want.

8. "When in doubt, go ahead and check it out." Worst case is it sucks and you can politely decline. Best case, who knows:) Generally speaking, its somewhere in the middle and you network a bit and try something different for a while.

9. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Worth a shot. Could turn out to be a great way to "get some cheese on ya".

10. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    Sounds like a good option to me, especially if you can convince them to do some of your faves too. Reggae and ska are a great way to fill a dance floor without having to resort to MS and PTFMWB.

11. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    Haha, I don't know. I suppose I might go to the audition, but I'm prepared to politely decline. They apparently cover some "pop tunes" from time to time and want me to have F*** You by Cee Lo Green, Somebody I Used to Know, and B**** Ain't S*** ready to play on Saturday. Doesn't sound like they're into roots reggae stuff to me, but I guess I might give it a go

12. Seriously, though, you never know who you'll meet in these situations. For some reason lately I've been running across folks I originally met 20+ years ago. Some are cool, and some I burned my bridges at the time, so ya never know.