Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I complain?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by odie, Mar 20, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

We played a show last night(and are playing again tonight) at a place that provides a PA and soundman. When we play these places we charge less so we dont have deal with hauling equipment or paying for a knob puller behind a mixer.

Well there soundman didnt show up till and hour before we were set to play. We got a soundman to come and help via our 911 call. Turns out the Sub on one side was blown. Didnt work at all. They only had one monitor and one sidefill working. The horn in the high pack on one side was blown. So really only half the PA was in working order.

So we went and got one of our subs, and some monitors. We had to tear apart one of our (50 foot) cords to make these connect. Needed to add banana clips.

Should we insist on more pay since we had to provide half the speakers???? (Fun moving 200-300lb subs) Also tearing apart a perfect cord to rig it to work.

Or are we screwed on getting reimbursed?

2. Try to complain but I am certain you'll fall on deaf ears.
    IMOE it's always the best to take your own gear, at least you know what you're dealing with.

:bassist:

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

That was my thinking. I will say something, but I doubt it will go anywhere.

4. Unless you know the place well, most clubs have either a crappy PA or an "out of space" sound guy (IMO and experience), that's the sad fact.

That's why I haul my gear to every gig, no matter how much time and work it takes. At least I know that we'll perform with reliable gear, it's 1/2 the ticket.

Good luck tonight, KICK ASS :)

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Thanx man I appreciate it. Its our 4th gig as a band. Some Spinal Tap moments but for the most part it has gone well.

6. they are renigging on the deal. They are supposed to provide the p.a. and sound engineer, and you play at a reduced price because of this. The soundguy should be there checking gear in the day to see if its all working. Also at the end of the gig ,make a list of whats broken ect,ect and give it to the entertainment manager or duty manager. You are quite within your rights to be annoyed> and it is typical of venue owners not to spend a cracker on broken equipment, If the beer taps broke down, they would have 50 guys in there 2 mins flat fixing them. Time to "renegotiate" the deal mate.

7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well an update. What ever was the problem that blew there subs it took our out. We can plug them in and nothing, not even a whisper.

The owner came up to use after our last set on Saturday and he said he wants to have us play every 5 weeks and will pay a minimum of $600 a night(1200 weekend) but will pay more after the bar makes 3000. I really doubt they will live up to this. We will see. Cool thing is that we will play Halloween.

The subs have a built in crossover and has two transformers in them. I will post in amps to see if anyone knows what may be busted.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Simple...the "problem" is the sound man clipping the subs and blowing them.

In the future just put up with the venue's sound man and PA. Let them destroy their own stuff.