1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I drop a sadowsky preamp in my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JoePro, Apr 6, 2018.

1. JoePro

JoePro

Apr 1, 2009
    To sum it up quick I’ve grown tired of the sound of one of my jazz basses it’s a Performance 5 string (A higher end boutique fender clone) it sounds great as is I’ve had it for a few years and my ears have outgrown it I guess you could say. I’m looking for a different sound and normally I just buy a new bass that fits the tone I’m looking for but I’ve become addicted to higher end basses and I’m trying not to spend money on another as I already have an F bass build on the way. I really think a sadowsky pre could do the job of what I’m looking for. I hate to say it but I’m looking for a tighter Marcus Miller sound that’s a hair more modern just a big fat ballsy Jazz tone. I’m pretty sure the sadowsky could do it but my only reservation is that I put the preamp in don’t like it put the original pre in and it’s not quite the same. Also on the table is selling the bass for a sadowsky I already have a few friends who want the bass.

Also from my understanding the sadowsky pre is pretty colored which I don’t mind is that true?

What would you do?

2. Eugene.thomas87

Eugene.thomas87

Nov 20, 2008
    KY
    You could sell me the Performance

3. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    When your F bass arrives you may find you play it so much you have no need for the other. Just wait and see before acting is all I’m saying.

4. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    If the Marcus thing but hotter is what you want, get a TCT and DiMarzio Ultra Jazz or Fralin 10% overwound.

5. Go for the pedal version, you can use it on all your basses
    SBP-2 Preamp Pedal – Sadowsky Guitars

The 2 band preamp has a 40hz and 4k boost. When not boosted the preamp won't color the sound, YMMV.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    JoePro likes this.
  6. JoePro

JoePro

Apr 1, 2009
    I’m pretty sure that’ll be the case especially after my first one but I still like to have something nice in case a producer artist or MD wants a specific sound

TCT?

7. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    If you otherwise like your bass (the feel, note consistency, lack of dead spots, etc.) then keep it and install a Sadowsky preamp. That's what I've done with my Lull M5V and I don't miss not having a Sadowsky Jazz at all.