Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I equip the duo?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by lbanks, Jan 31, 2004.

1. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    First, some background. I'm not new to performance. I started playing in '67,
    went on the road in '73 (so-called chitlin' circuit), left the road in '76, married and
    played in a number of local groups, with varying sucess. I quit playing bass in '93
    and just played keyboard in my home studio, for sanity's sake.
    Last year the urge hitand I've been acquiring equipment and trying to regain my chops. I started jamming with some co-workers, with an eye towards producing a TV production (we work in access TV). So, we.ve been dilly-dallying about with seldom a chance to practice, by cause of work schedules. So I'm looking for oportunities to play.
    So, jump to last Monday. My other profession is Video Production Consultant. While chatting with a client, I mentioned I played bass and he said we should jam a bit. Having heard some of his keyboard stuff, I was reluctant, but, since I wasn't doing anything else, we jammed on Friday. Needless to say, I was suprised. Solid chord structure, the ability to sing well while playing and a bunch of original material that didn't suck. And the required level of interest. He plays acoustic but says he prefers an electric. I know his situation and know he can't afford a rig, at this time, too many family pressures. However, I can. The question is should I? I have no illusion about this; his music is kinda like Leon Redbone and kinda like straight country and would be a hard sell. However, we could go artsy-fartsy and that would be a start. I just don't know if I want to be the guy that owns all the equipment. I've been on the other side of that equation and know some odd dynamic can occur! The worst thing is I think I've already decided and just can't admit it to myself. I guess this is more of a whine than a question, but any input would be apperciated. Ciao!

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    If you own all the equipment and you stop playing together then there is no confusion on who owns what or who takes what with them. You could say that since I am bearing the whole cost of the rig I should receive a bigger cut to cover wear and tear, etc.( I honestly beleive that is fair!)

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Well, I just bought a guitar, so I guess I decided. (I wish I would let myself in on these decisions...)