Should I find another gig?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jammadave, Feb 8, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey guys - I have a couple odd problems with the band I just joined a month or so ago, and I'm wondering if I should just move on...

Firstly, they're all good guys and there are no attitude problems, it's not that. My girlfriend sums it up that I just don't fit the band. They're very Grateful-Dead-Blues'n'Bluegrass types (well the lead guitarist does break out some Rush from time to time...) while I come from heavier origins. I like bouncy midtempo stuff occasionally as well, and really like some of the songs we're doing, maybe just not especially the way we do them :meh:

The big simple-yet-complex thing I notice is this: Simple: the singer sucks. Complex: It's not *singing* that he sucks at! He has a fantastic voice! It's 2 things: vocal rhythms/pacing, and the damned harmonica. He doesn't know how to play harmonica, but he just bought several and attempts to, at full miked volume, through at least one whole song which does have harp on the recording. I casually suggest maybe dropping the harp out, or at least completely off-mic, but the other guys go "no, dude, sounds good".

And then there's no drummer, still.

I just don't know. I don't hate it, but after listening to a quick'n'dirty one-mic recording of us all together, I just don't know.
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, I had a situation where it was just this mediocre situation. I eventually quit. I felt a lot better. It was just kind of crappy. Not great, not bad. Just not satisfying.