Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Should I go see Les C. w/Primus?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zombywoof5050, Jan 14, 2004.

1. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've never been much of a Primus fan, admittedly I haven't heard much of thier music or Les' other projects either. I heard a silly song or two MANY years ago and kindof wrote them off for just being silly. But I do know that Les is highly regarded as being a good bassist, so I'm starting to gain an interest into what I may have been missing all these years.
    So, should I go or not?

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I just realized how ironic it is that I, being a huge Zappa fan, would write off Primus for being silly.
    Oh well, I'd still like some input, Thanks!

3. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    I'd highly reccomend it. I saw them back in November and i still think about the show all the time. It's a long show though, complete with about 20 or so songs, and a nice crazy 20 minut drum solo by Herb. Primus is more a "jam" band now, most of the songs they play live are over 10 minuts long, which rules. Les also has some flashy looking basses. He also plays that 1 string stick looking thing i'm totally obsessed with now since i saw the show. I'm trying to make it a mission to find someone to build me one of those things.

If you do go try and get up in the very front. It's very amusing too watch Les play. He's such a goofy guy onstage.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  5. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    definitly go if you dont youll regret it

6. Les is a silly player and I find myself ignoring many of the things he does. If you want to know if he is a legitimate player, listen to the song "The Awakening" off of Highball with the Devil. It is a cover of an old tune and it is just bass and drums and it grooves.

7. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    the whamola rocks, i will one day own one, oh yes, it will be mine

8. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Seeing him/them live on this tour, may just make you a big primus fan. I will admit I hated the band the first time I heard them. They grow on you, like a fungus.....but in a good way!

Even if you hated the show, I'm sure you'll love Tim Alexander's drum solo!! Incredible!!!

My advice, go, have a good time! :)

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    The first time i heard them i thought they were just a goofy band, then they too grew on me. Primus is too unique and talented for most people to appreciate. Definitly in the top 5 most distinguishable bands ever. I hear people bad mouth them, but in reality very few people can put together such an odd sound and make it work the way these guys can.

Definitly a unique and entertaining concert, i say you should go, it will make you look at music in fun/different way.

10. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Ohh yeah and the Herb drum solo was insane. That alone was worth the money. I never seen a drum solo like that. Herbs double bass is killer.

11. I can't argue that he isn't a silly player. But I like to think of Primus as the Mothers of Invention, and Les as Zappa on bass, it's just...not to everyone's liking. I would go to that show in a heartbeat.

12. Viktor

Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Split,Croatia
    Look Dud,I live in Croatia....I would kill to go to a Primus concert....so don't be a fool man go!You won't be sorry!

13. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Ok, I'm gonna go.
    Thanks for talking me into it, I'm sure I'll like it. I've actually been wanting to see Les on bass for a while now, but I was hoping to see him with Frog Brigade or something, guess I'll take what I can get.

14. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Great, glad you decided to go! You won't be disappointed. I've seen Primus and The Frog brigade, while both shows were awesome, I liked the Primus show better!

Have fun at the show! :)

15. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    You'll be stoked - take it from that guy in Croatia. You'll never be able to see them do the full Seas of Cheese album again. I guarantee your head will be spinning the next day.

16. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Anyone here going to be at the show in New Orleans? I didn't see any mention of an opening act, so I guess it's just them.

17. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    There is no opening act, it's just a night with Primus. And what a night it is!!! :cool:

18. Stomniar

Stomniar

Dec 5, 2003
    Spring Hill FL
    <P>I'm happy, I will be going... What can be better? I won the tickets and am going. :D I was going to go regardless. My advice to you... Go! Go! :)