Should I join another band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jbennardo, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Hello all, I'm in a cover band which isn't working OR rehearsing regularly. I was offered a spot in another band which plans to work a lot.

I would like some opinions and experiences involving being in two bands at once. Did you have to "break it" to the other guys? How did you? How do you handle schedule conflicts? Can it be done????

Thanks in advance for your replies.
  2. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I'd let the fellas your currently playing with know that your unhappy about the lack of rehersal and gigs. Tell them you want more playing time and gigs and are willing to go to other bands for work and have been offered work. Plain and simple. Ya'll are in a band together not a marriage. If they don't like it say "bye, bye". Bands come and bands go. No reason for you to stay in a situation where your not happy. Maybe this will encourage them to land some gigs.

Since rehersals and gigs are few and far between already I don't see scheduling conflicts being a problem. Make sure all parties concerned always know your schedule several weeks out.

I've worked with several bands at a time and have very rarely had any issues with scheduling. It's all about communication and organization.
  3. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    +1! As long as everyone is in the loop, the band that isn't rehearsing or gigging regularly really can't hold your desire to move forward against you. Heck, if you're that dedicated to playing music as much as possible, they should feel lucky to have you in the band!
  4. I think I'll wait until the other project is up and running before alarming anyone. Good advice, thanks again.
  5. noadsallowed

Apr 20, 2005
    Join the other band if they will have you. Find out if you like playing with them. Believe me, you never know if you will like them unless you rehearse and play with them. You find out the most about a band by playing with them. Usually, you will find out little thing that annoy you about your new band that you would never know if you didn't join or try out for them. And if you find you don't like or can't deal with someone or something about your new band, you can always fall back on your old band.
    Just remember, the reason for being a musician in the first place for most people is to play in front of an audience to entertain them, so in my opinion, being in a band that doesn't play live :rolleyes: is a waste of time!
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    "which plans to work a lot..." isn't the same as "is working a lot...". If you get on with them and enjoy the music, I don't think anybody loses if you spend some time with them. IF the promise of lots of gigs turns out to be true and your time is too tight to do both, then you can give the guys in the other band a reasonable amount of notice. It sounds like that's your plan, anyway.

However, I wouldn't keep the new involvement too secret from the old band; that will potentially make it much harder to move on if you know you're going to have to drop an unexpected bombshell on them.

7. jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    That's tough but you are always better off coming clean with everyone as soon as you can so nobody gets emotionally or physically hurt